Question on adding audio equipment - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to Cloudydaysbehind Send a message via MSN to Cloudydaysbehind Send a message via Yahoo to Cloudydaysbehind
Question on adding audio equipment

I've never touched an audio system in a car, and I was wondering - can you install an amp and sub on the stock system HU and how do you go about doing it? I'm talking about the non-pioneer 4 speaker system.

2007 Chevy Cobalt LT

- Speed kills, drive an import.

. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Expert

I have limited experience so im sure youll get a better answer later. Im pretty sure there are no problems running the amp through the stock HU, but the one i did myself i used aftermarket so im not positive. I dont think the sub runs through the HU so thats not a problem. Go to crutchfield.com to get some better help as far as install instructions go. Like i said im not a pro at this so try not to flame me if i end up being wrong.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Contributor

i ran a system pushing like 760w or so with 2 12" kicker comp subs and a pioneer amp, and the head unit pushes better than an after market hu does. same system was in a friends car his with non-stock head unit and he says it is way louder and better in my car with my stock hu

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Newcomer

O.K. here is a tuff question. I will be installing 2 - 10" kicker subwoofer each one is approximately rms 750W. My amp is a zx750.1, so theoritcally ill be pushing 1500w. I'll be upgrading my battery to a yellow top. Now here's my question do you think the alternator is going to hold up? Also does anyone have specs on the amperage of the alternator?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Forum Regular

if your run ning a 750w monoblock amp on 2 subs, you'll be pushing 375w out of each. my advice is get a 4 farad capacitor which acts like a backup battery. nice setup by the way
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Newcomer

I dont know about 375w the tech from kicker ive been emailing says ill be pushing 750w to each. I was told by him that the kicker mono amp your able to connect two subs to and it would power both at 750w rms. I've been looking at the specs on the amp and it uses 2x40a fuses that means at any time it could be pulling 80amps off my alternator. Now please currect me if im wrong but that seams a lil much for an alternator that couldn't be rated at more than 110amps. Ill void my warrenty if i upgrade my alternator though. Does anybody have the specs on the alternator?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Contributor

Nope, kickasscobalt is right. a 750w mono puts out a total of 750w. Split that down between two subs, and you get 375w per sub MAX output. Your RMS output is gonna be around 300w per sub.

The one thing that I disagree with kickasscobalt on tho, is that you do not need a 4 farad cap. The general rule is that you need 1 farad per every 1000w RMS that you are pushing. So I would go with a 1 farad and save yourself some money. The thing to keep in mind is that a capacitor is nothing but a small battery. They store small amounts of power that are used only when needed. The difference between a cap and a battery is that a battery discharged power and recharges slowly, while a capacitor charges and discharges extremely quickly.

Personally tho, I would go with a BATCAP or Kinetic battery. They are a hybrid style battery that stores the same amount of power as a regular battery, but they charge and discharge as quickly as a capacitor.

And just so you know, I am an MECP certified installer, graduated from Installer Institute (II) in Holly Hill, FL. So yes, I know what am talking about when it comes to car audio
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Newcomer

Sorry plur13 but you may have been sleeping the day they tought you about amps. I know thats all i ever did in school. This is a direct quote from the tech at kicker, "Yes they need 800 watts rms that amp will put out 750-800 watts rms to each subwoofer." Matt Houska Kicker/Soundgate Tech. Any thing else you guys think could do about the 80amp pull other than and cap.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Contributor

Okay, well then when you figure out how an amp can somehow double its power by adding more speakers to it, I would sure love to know how. And no, I wasn't sleeping thru my calss. I actually graduated first in my class, and have been working in stereo shops for the last 4 years, including shops that sell Kicker. There is absolutely no amp on the market that can double its power by adding more subs. What he is saying is that since it's a mono amp, you hook two subs into the one channel, and that one channel will put out 750W. But after the 750W goes into the speaker wires, it still gets split down because of the Ohm load of the speakers.

Just so that I know exactly what you're working with, at what ohm load does your amp put out 750W? And what ohm are your speakers? Are they single voice coil or dual voice coil? ANd if they are dual voice coil, are you running them series or parallel? Just asking because all this will have an affect on the final amount of power going into each sub. But let me assure you still, that an amp rated for 750W, will still only put out a total max output of 750W per channel, not per sub
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Newcomer

Dude Plur is right on with the amp, you have an amp that claims 750 watts x1 at a 2 ohm load if you could find a way to wire up 10 subs at 2 ohms each one would be getting 75 watts, if you wire one 2 ohm sub to it that one sub would get 750 watts. you have to plan this stuff out. This is all assuming that amp is really putting out those watts. As far as the 80 amp fuse i personally don't think you're ever going to pull that amount of juice, I run Zapco amps, and my 500 watt sub amp is only pulling 40 amps max, I don't think (if you are actually getting 750W RMS/clean you would be pulling more than 60-65.)

I will disagree with any advice on a cap, but those arguments never go well on a forum. Spend the money on a better battery instead.

now back to the OP sure you can do it-tap the rear wires to a Line output. . .but why? if you have the stock 4 speaker setup anything you do is going to make it sound better, rip it out man and start over! the stock speakers are awful and the deck isn't any better.

Last edited by cpik; 02-27-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: i can't spell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode