Amp Wiring Ground - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Amp Wiring Ground

I was wondering, would it would be bad for the amp if the ground wire was attached to the negative terminal on the battery? It seems to me that would be the simplest way to hook up the ground since the battery is already in the trunk. I just don't want to mess up my new amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Forum Regular

When I did mine I screwed the ground wire on the metal piece that's near the negative cable cuz I didn't want to take off the battery cable to hook it up. LoL! It worked tho...just have to use metal screws.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
The battery is probably the best area as long as the amp isn't very far away. However I mounting my amp to the back of the rear seat so i just grounded it under a bracket that is attached to the trunk bottom to hold the rear seat in place

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Contributor

Grounding it to the negative side of the battery is the best ground you can have, as long as the ground wire is no more than 18" long. If the ground wire is going to be more than 18" long by doing it, then DO NOT ground it to the battery. Find a good solid piece of metal, scrape off any paint that is on it so that you have just bare solid metal, and use a screw to screw it in.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Ok cool, I thought the battery was the best place to ground my amp if it was close enough. I am going to hook my amp up to the battery later today... Thanks for the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode