new sys. box for trunk - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

new sys. box for trunk

heres some startoff pics of my sys. box i'm working on for my 12" kickers, will post more pics of finished box installed when i get my car back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Newcomer

since you used actual wood, i would brace the hell out of the internals of that box to prevent flexing and distortion

should use 5/8" to 1" MDF for something like that
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

i did with wood glue an braces also will be sealing it up with some other stuff just waiting for the stealership to giv my car back

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mlhseabee
Hey, I speak from experiance when I say this, but I will never again build a box out of regular old wood. I built one in high school wood shop cuz I had nothing better to do. That was the worst sounding hunk of garbage. MDF is the way to go. You'll definately need not only bracing, but also get some packing foam. I can't remember the exact name of it, but it's kinda like the stuff they fill pillows with now a days. I used that in the box I built and it helped out a ton. Look around for it. Your local sound shop should know more about it.

'05 Base Coupe, Blue, 2.2L, 5 speed manual, Too many mods to list in this signature. I'll just say insanely loud system, fully upgraded suspension (nothing original), Intake, Full Exhaust from the engine back, Rims, Tires, etc... Give me about a month to get back stateside and pics will be posted in the vBGarage.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhseabee View Post
Hey, I speak from experiance when I say this, but I will never again build a box out of regular old wood. I built one in high school wood shop cuz I had nothing better to do. That was the worst sounding hunk of garbage. MDF is the way to go. You'll definately need not only bracing, but also get some packing foam. I can't remember the exact name of it, but it's kinda like the stuff they fill pillows with now a days. I used that in the box I built and it helped out a ton. Look around for it. Your local sound shop should know more about it.
It's called Polly-fill. And it works great if you can't build a box to the correct airspace. And just as a side note, you should NEVER build a box out of regular wood. No matter what you do, it will never sound as good as an MDF box. MDF is extremely cheap too, so there is no reason not to use it. Costs about $20 for a full sheet at Lowes, which is more than enough for a box.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mlhseabee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUR13 View Post
It's called Polly-fill. And it works great if you can't build a box to the correct airspace. And just as a side note, you should NEVER build a box out of regular wood. No matter what you do, it will never sound as good as an MDF box. MDF is extremely cheap too, so there is no reason not to use it. Costs about $20 for a full sheet at Lowes, which is more than enough for a box.
I agree. And thanx for remembering the name of that foam. I was a lil slow last night.

'05 Base Coupe, Blue, 2.2L, 5 speed manual, Too many mods to list in this signature. I'll just say insanely loud system, fully upgraded suspension (nothing original), Intake, Full Exhaust from the engine back, Rims, Tires, etc... Give me about a month to get back stateside and pics will be posted in the vBGarage.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Newcomer

not foam, its polyester fibers, esentially, tangled together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode