wiring to speakers - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

wiring to speakers

so from the amplifier in the trunk im going to wiring 16 gauge speaker wiring to all four speakers (br, bl, fr, fl) but the front speakers are hard cuz i cant seem to find the entrance of the firewall that is protected by the rubber tube thing.

any help? also, if im going to wire it to the front left (driver side door speaker) would i be better off running the speaker wiring down the passenger side, through the dash and then into the speaker to avoid interference or?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Cobalt Master

i would just run it to the speaker wires found behind the CD deck...........Make use of the stereo harnessess, and wire right into those, and that way, you wont need to re-wire anything!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

dont i need speaker wire if im using a amp?

does it go rca (interconnects) from headunit to amp, then speaker wire from amp to the speakers?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

ill show pictures later, but the rubber wire holder that goes from inside the car to the door its a plug that takes up the entire tube, so what i did was drill holes in the door and in the vehicle, wrapped the outside of the speaker wire with electrical tape and caulk the holes
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedin View Post
dont i need speaker wire if im using a amp?

does it go rca (interconnects) from headunit to amp, then speaker wire from amp to the speakers?
Speakerwire is simple 18-22 gague wire that you can use.....it is the RCA cable from head unit to the amp, but all you would have to do after that, is run your speaker wires right back to your harness(instead of messing around with drilling holes, or needing to rewire the speakers). When you buy an aftermarket deck, it will come with an aftermarket aux connector to wire the deck in, and usually it would be safer to also pick up a factory harness adapter to plug directly into your stereo harness for your car.

Now, you can pick up RCA cables with 18-22 gague wiring, strip the RCA ends off one side, and wire them to your aftermarket stereo connector(into the respective four speakers), run it into your amp, and then run your amplified speaker wires to their respective wire in the factory jumper harness............And then you should be fine!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

o... umm o well lol i should be fine with th speaker wire tho right? ill just splice the existing connections already connected to the harness? and well

thats what i did? will that be fine?

so turn on lead to the amp from the head unit, power/ground from the amp, rca cables from the head unit to the amp, and from the amp physical speaker wire to every speaker (12 gauge, which is why i was confused about just splicing with the existing)

Last edited by creedin; 07-17-2008 at 09:04 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Veteran

very artistic picture;)

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
Custom 2.5" dynomax exhaust system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
stainless steel pacesetter header
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

yea i was an art major what can i say
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

another question im thinking of getting a 4 ohm/2 ohm mono amp that produces the same at each level, can i wire two 2 ohm subwoofers to it or do i need to get two 4 ohm subwoofers?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedin View Post
another question im thinking of getting a 4 ohm/2 ohm mono amp that produces the same at each level, can i wire two 2 ohm subwoofers to it or do i need to get two 4 ohm subwoofers?
you have to watch your wiring on your subs, but yes, you can wire 2 2ohm subs. Just make sure you run them in series, not as 2 separate circuits from the same channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode