Questions, questions, questions. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Questions, questions, questions.

Okay sorry for the title, but I just have so many, questions, about doing audio in my cobalt.

First of all, my cobalt is a 2006 LT Coupe, with the pioneer audio system (7 speaker) without onstar. And im looking to upgrade everything. Just to make my system sound better than the stock system, and then eventually getting some subs.

Q- when i get new speakers, and when i want to install them, would they just basically connect n disconnect like the rear stock speakers, with that clip. and would the new speakers, already be connected with that clip or would i have to do something special to connect the wires.

Q- for the front speakers, if i just want to replace them i do not need to get the component speakers, right??? and what do i need to do for stopping the rain water. and is there a tutorial on how to remove the door panels.

Q- if i get a new cd player (head unit) what am i going to need, to keep the car the same, with the warnings and chimes and such, and not loose that information.

Q- when i get subs, would this box be okay (http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2...lt-b.html#more), or is it better off getting a normal box. and would i be able to run the subs off a second battery, down in the wheel well (by the main battery, with the spare tire still.), or not.
[disclaimer- with this box it would, not loose trunk space so thats why i was wondering.

Thanks in advance, and I am truly happy to find this site, because I was looking on how to remove the rear deck, and this was the only place that had a tutorial on it, for free, and not $5.99 +plus s/h. ha ha, thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rlp3nc1l View Post
Okay sorry for the title, but I just have so many, questions, about doing audio in my cobalt.

First of all, my cobalt is a 2006 LT Coupe, with the pioneer audio system (7 speaker) without onstar. And im looking to upgrade everything. Just to make my system sound better than the stock system, and then eventually getting some subs.

Q- when i get new speakers, and when i want to install them, would they just basically connect n disconnect like the rear stock speakers, with that clip. and would the new speakers, already be connected with that clip or would i have to do something special to connect the wires.

A: It all depends on the speakers, some are set up in such a way you can reuse the clips, some, you have to trim the wires, and use a female end spade connector to attach the two.

Q- for the front speakers, if i just want to replace them i do not need to get the component speakers, right??? and what do i need to do for stopping the rain water. and is there a tutorial on how to remove the door panels.

A: you are correct about the component speakers. You should only need a little bit of automotive silicone to seal the rainwater out from your door, applied to the back lip of the speaker where it mounts. As for a tutorial on removing a doorpanel, you'd have to search the interior part of the forums.

Q- if i get a new cd player (head unit) what am i going to need, to keep the car the same, with the warnings and chimes and such, and not loose that information.

A: It all depends on where your chimes come from, if they come from your speakers, then you need a special adapter. Otherwise, you shouldnt have any problem(if the chime is coming from your dashboard).

Q- when i get subs, would this box be okay (http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2...lt-b.html#more), or is it better off getting a normal box. and would i be able to run the subs off a second battery, down in the wheel well (by the main battery, with the spare tire still.), or not.
[disclaimer- with this box it would, not loose trunk space so thats why i was wondering.

A: you should be good, most custom boxes are tested for sound quality before putting on the market. As for running the subs off a second battery, why not just upgrade your battery that is there, and get a bigger alternator??? that would be the more practical route.

Thanks in advance, and I am truly happy to find this site, because I was looking on how to remove the rear deck, and this was the only place that had a tutorial on it, for free, and not $5.99 +plus s/h. ha ha, thanks again.
That should answer your questions

Last edited by cobaltkrazy; 09-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Newcomer

Quote:

Hey there. I saw this site in my refer list for SoundDomain, so I thought I'd join and chime in.
Q1-- Aftermarket speakers do not use the same clips as your factory speakers. You can purchase adapter harnesses from places like crutchfield (available for many cars, but not all) that would adapt your factory style plug to the aftermarket speaker spade terminals. If you cant find or don't want to use an adapter harness, you can simply cut off the factory plug and crimp on some spade connectors. However, pay attention to the which wires you mark as positive and negative. You want to be consistent when you hook up each speaker, or the speakers will be out of phase and sound like poop.

Q2-- Component speakers will almost always offer better sound quality than a pair of coaxial speakers. Mainly because they use crossover networks that separate the mids and highs to the individual speakers, therefore allowing them to perform at the best. However, if you're new to installation and are attempting this yourself, I'd recommend just picking a really nice pair of coaxial speakers. And don't worry about components for your rear speakers... You want your best sound coming from the front. You can seal your speaker to the door with silicone, but it really shouldn't be necessary. If I'm not mistaken, you may also need a special mounting adapter to put an aftermarket speaker in your doors as the factory speaker has a slightly different shape than the aftermarket standard. (Check crutchfield).

Q3-- If your chime comes through the door speaker, you're going to need a special adapter. If your radio has vehicle data included in the display (or elsewhere), then your car has the GM-LAN system, a databus communication network that uses your radio. If you replace the radio then you're going to need a special dash kit and wiring harness. Crutchfied has all of this and you can check it out but entering your info in their fit guide. (The site was down when I went just now, so I couldn't provide the links). You may also need an antenna adapter. The parts aren't going to be cheap, but they are necessary.

Q4-- That box is an excellent choice. I've worked with their stuff before and the fit and finish is pretty fantastic, and the sound quality is pretty impressive too. However, the sound quality you get from it will depend on the sub. You want to make sure the sub you pick out is designed to work with the air space that's available in with that box. Most reputable subwoofer companies will list the air space requirements for their subs. A second battery is not necessary unless you are going to use some MASSIVE power. Just get a 1-farad capacitor and should be money. Upgrading alternators (not starters, as mentioned above) and adding batteries is a pretty serious upgrade and you should do research before attempting or consult a pro.

I'll check back to see if you have any other questions. Thanks for linking to, and visiting, SoundDomain!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubb8 View Post
Hey there. I saw this site in my refer list for SoundDomain, so I thought I'd join and chime in.
Q1-- Aftermarket speakers do not use the same clips as your factory speakers. You can purchase adapter harnesses from places like crutchfield (available for many cars, but not all) that would adapt your factory style plug to the aftermarket speaker spade terminals. If you cant find or don't want to use an adapter harness, you can simply cut off the factory plug and crimp on some spade connectors. However, pay attention to the which wires you mark as positive and negative. You want to be consistent when you hook up each speaker, or the speakers will be out of phase and sound like poop.

Q2-- Component speakers will almost always offer better sound quality than a pair of coaxial speakers. Mainly because they use crossover networks that separate the mids and highs to the individual speakers, therefore allowing them to perform at the best. However, if you're new to installation and are attempting this yourself, I'd recommend just picking a really nice pair of coaxial speakers. And don't worry about components for your rear speakers... You want your best sound coming from the front. You can seal your speaker to the door with silicone, but it really shouldn't be necessary. If I'm not mistaken, you may also need a special mounting adapter to put an aftermarket speaker in your doors as the factory speaker has a slightly different shape than the aftermarket standard. (Check crutchfield).

Q3-- If your chime comes through the door speaker, you're going to need a special adapter. If your radio has vehicle data included in the display (or elsewhere), then your car has the GM-LAN system, a databus communication network that uses your radio. If you replace the radio then you're going to need a special dash kit and wiring harness. Crutchfied has all of this and you can check it out but entering your info in their fit guide. (The site was down when I went just now, so I couldn't provide the links). You may also need an antenna adapter. The parts aren't going to be cheap, but they are necessary.

Q4-- That box is an excellent choice. I've worked with their stuff before and the fit and finish is pretty fantastic, and the sound quality is pretty impressive too. However, the sound quality you get from it will depend on the sub. You want to make sure the sub you pick out is designed to work with the air space that's available in with that box. Most reputable subwoofer companies will list the air space requirements for their subs. A second battery is not necessary unless you are going to use some MASSIVE power. Just get a 1-farad capacitor and should be money. Upgrading alternators (not starters, as mentioned above) and adding batteries is a pretty serious upgrade and you should do research before attempting or consult a pro.

I'll check back to see if you have any other questions. Thanks for linking to, and visiting, SoundDomain!
Where does it say to upgrade starters???? LMFAO!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Forum Regular

you should just take your whip to best buy or something they will take care of it all
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

okay so if i get the component speaker system, i should replace my old tweeters with the new ones, there located where the side view mirrors are at. and then with the crossover inside the door, (what should i use to wrap it up with, to keep it dry and stuff).

would these be fine. JL Audio or Infinity

and say i get that adapter for the radio, would best buy install that also, or would they charge more to do so.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 03:33 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
okay so if i get the component speaker system, i should replace my old tweeters with the new ones, there located where the side view mirrors are at. and then with the crossover inside the door, (what should i use to wrap it up with, to keep it dry and stuff).

would these be fine. JL Audio or Infinity

and say i get that adapter for the radio, would best buy install that also, or would they charge more to do so.
Yes, tweeters in factory locations. Crossovers go inside the door, but not behind the moisture barrier.... You want them on the outside of the door frame (in the same plane as the front of the woofer). If you put them physically inside the door, behind the moisture barrier, they will get wet regardless of what they are wrapped in. And they won't be able to breathe if you have them sealed. Even though they are passive x-overs, they are still passing electricity and warm up. The door panel has all kinds of curves and you should be able to find a suitable lace for them.

As for speakers, if you're budget is $199, I'd save for a little bit longer and go for the $250 price range. The Infinity Kappa are MUCH nicer than the reference:
Infinity Kappa 60.9cs

Plus the have a neo magnet that is much smaller and will be less of a hassle to deal with.

The adapter is necessary regardless of who does the install. Really, it doesn't complicate your install much more, it's just an extra box or two. But they will charge more, as will any other car stereo shop because it's more wiring and more work. Get a quote from them before telling them you have the gear already. Or better yet, get a quote from them before buying your stuff from Crutchfield. I'm pretty sure BB sells Kappa too.
-----Added 25 Sep 2008 at 05:36:19-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltkrazy View Post
Where does it say to upgrade starters???? LMFAO!

I'm smokin' rocks I guess. I could have sworn I read "starter" in there...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

another question, i need to go and get some 6x9 for the rear deck, mine are blown, and rattle so dam much, and was thinking about going to best buy to pick up a pair of infinitys, but i still want to wire the speakers in to the factory clip, so what would i need to get to still be able to do that.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Newcomer

I think Best Buy sells speaker harness adapters, and if so, that's what you need. It makes it pretty simple to wire up the new speakers and you don't have to worry about phase issues from incorrectly wiring them up.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

n/v

Last edited by d4rlp3nc1l; 10-03-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
custom box , head unit , questions , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode