Radio Swap - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MP81
  • 1 Post By MP81

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Radio Swap

Hello,

I can't seem to find a clear answer on this but I was looking to swap out my cobalts radio with one that has the USB port on the left side of the volume knob. I looked up the RPO codes and mine has option US8(basic cd player with aux). The one I'm looking at comes from a car with option code UUI. I've been doing some research and apparently people have issues with buying one from a cobalt that has the pioneer system, so their volume ends up being really low once they install it. I read on a website that the radios with the USB on the left are for the premium audio packages and the ones that have the usb port on the right side of the volume knobs(the hhr has this one) are for the basic speakers. Does anyone know which radio is the correct one to buy? The one i'm looking at is about $80 and they claim it's unlocked already. I really don't want to go the aftermarket route with this car if possible.

My cobalt is a 2010 LS with all the basic powerless features. The most advanced option my car has is onstar and xm radio lol.

thanks much!! Forums like this rock! Most of my questions have been answered already by reading posts, so if I missed one that references this, let me know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Based on my quick Google search, it seems like there are plenty of "regular" ones from 2010 Cobalts with the USB output as well, but maybe they all just are Pioneer-equipped vehicles.

I hear the USB port doesn't handle that many songs, if you were to use a flash drive or anything.
JOETOGO90 likes this.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

All i wanted it for was to use a flash drive lol!!!!! I might just load my phone up with music and use the AUX port then...I have a 2001 explorer with an aftermarket setup and I have a couple hundred songs that shuffle from my flash drive, so I was hoping I would be able to use it in this car.

thanks for the reply!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Say What again!

Garage
If its only a few hundred songs, it'd probably be fine then...

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I might just buy it and take a chance since it is tax season lol!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Say What again!

Garage
And you can always sell it again if it doesn't work.
JOETOGO90 likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

True!!!!! I'm also working on replacing the front speakers in this car. My front two went out and it seems to be the typical issue these cars have with speakers. My brother has a Chevy HHR and his rears did the same as my front. I went to a junkyard and pulled two speakers out and they both had water inside the plug so I found a pair of boss audio speakers for 12 bucks at Walmart, which i'm going to put in tonight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Yeah, the door is a wet (by design) area, so those paper-cone speakers shit out over time.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:44 AM
Contributor

Those boss speakers work. I am pleased with them in that I can turn up the volume to overpower the road noise.
On that note to add to your thread. Today I dropped by a salvage yard to sget a stock 15” steel 4 lug wheel.
They had radios for sale for $10 each.

So they are available for cheap.
The one I chose was from a 2013 Malibu. Silvered bezel with a USB port. I still need to crossover the part numbers to verify what it is. Hoping it has all of the features my 08LS mp3 Xm ampm does and gives the USB port.

Checked today and it appears I just obtained a UUI.
09-12 Chevrolet Malibu CD MP3 Player USB Radio UUI 20940843 for $10.00
Will check to see if it works in a 08 LS.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 03-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode