How to Install Aftermarket Double Din Radio BEFORE INSTALL - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio Audio DIY/How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Talking How to Install Aftermarket Double Din Radio BEFORE INSTALL

Hi guys!

i haven't seen anybody do a good how-to with pictures of them installing aftermarket head units in the cobalts. I just bought my cobalt 09 ls coupe, and although I have not picked it up yet, I have ordered all the necessary equipment and so here it is. Stay tuned next week for the full DIY and many pics of installing an aftermarket DOUBLE DIN radio. These were all ordered from crutchfield.ca (i live in Canada) here is the required dash kit, antenna adaptor and wiring harness:

There you go! Hope this helps for those who keep asking what's required for the proper install. Message me with any questions!! More pics to come when i start my install. I will try to make the DIY as detailed as possible. Peace!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Newcomer

will the audio controls from the steering wheel still work? how difficult is the install because i've heard it's not as simple with the cobalt.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg77 View Post
will the audio controls from the steering wheel still work? how difficult is the install because i've heard it's not as simple with the cobalt.
Definitely not simple install. I have taken my dash out twice, plugged in the harness which is wired tot he head unit and no power to head unit. Gotta work out some kinks and will post the full DIY once I figure out where I'm going wrong. And for the steering wheel controls for music, there is a seperate adaptor you must buy but most people choose to deactivate the steering wheel music controls especially if they're putting a touch screen in.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
i have a boss double din and i aint able to see the dvds cause it must be in park i know theres some way to ground it out to the brake wire but i dont know which one it is have you heard of anything like that
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnerika View Post
i have a boss double din and i aint able to see the dvds cause it must be in park i know theres some way to ground it out to the brake wire but i dont know which one it is have you heard of anything like that
Yes,

you must take the wire from the head unit that is supposed to go to the brake and attach it to a switch. Ground the other side of the switch and VOILA! you are done. Flip the switch and it will play DVD's. Let me know when it works :P and post pics of ur system !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Looking forward to the DIY on this... Thanks and get pics.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

*UPDATE* it is an easy install, but the interphace wire harness they sent me was defective so no no wonder it didn't work. Will post whole DIY when i get new parts and install.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
yea pretty easy install with the right harness all color coded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode