Cross Country Gas Cost? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Canada Regional Chevy Cobalt section for Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Exclamation Cross Country Gas Cost?

Hey guys. So, this fall, I'll be taking off on a cross country trip from Kelowna BC to St. John's, Newfoundland. Now, I've been saving up for a long while now, and I've gotten down to the planning of the distance travelled ect ect.

I've hit a snag though. I need to project the cost of gas for me to make it there and back. Now, for a ~20,000km drive across the country, I've seen estimates ranging from $800 - $3,000. Could anyone who's say, done a trip like this, or projected the cost of it, or just happens to know the average cost of gas across the country help me out so I can figure how much it will be?

So far, I've figured that to drive 20,000km I'll need to fill up 25 times, and at around $1.07/L, I'm looking at around $1,400 for gas. Is this a good estimate?

Keep in mind, the distance there and back is only around 14,000km, but I plan to check different places and take my time, hence the 20,000.

Driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2L, Alpine Type-S speakers & 10" Sub, Pioneer AVHP3200BT Receiver, Injen CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to golfin
Most recently I drove about 2100 km from Abbotsford BC to San Diego CA. had 3 fill ups each way getting roughly 800km to a tank. Ended up costing me about $160-$200 in gas. So i guess multiply that by 10 and you would get $1600-$2000 in gas. Always try to get a higher estimate.

On another note at the beginning on september I'm driving from Abbotsford to Saskatoon so I could let you know how much that would cost ya

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Nah, September 5th is the target departure date, so, I guess I'll find out myself.

Thanks for that info on how much you got a tank... What are you driving?

Driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2L, Alpine Type-S speakers & 10" Sub, Pioneer AVHP3200BT Receiver, Injen CAI

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to golfin
completely stock 2.2 on the way down. supercharged 2.2 on the way back .....damn if i could wait a bit id roll from kelowna to saskatchewan with you hahahaa

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Oh that's neat. Was the mileage any different supercharged? I would suspect you started using a higher octane gasoline on the way back, right?

Anyways... That would have been a fun idea. I'm thinking of organizing small Cobalt flash mobs across Canada. If I find a town or city with a nice open area, just post and anyone nearby could show up hah. Just thinking though, would be super difficult to organize.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
In case anyone ever wonders... I did a small trip on an Okanagan circuit. Started about 45 minutes out of Red Deer, Alberta, down to Crowsnest Pass (GPS had a bit of a meltdown and suggested the Trans-Canada was an "unpaved road"), up to Invemere-on-the-Lake, then on to Kimberley, down to Osoyoos, and then to Kelowna and then back home through Jasper. Just got the bank statement and did a bit of calculating. Total cost of gas for the trip was around $155 on an ecotech 2.2, not quite sure the exact mileage of the whole trip. Freaking LOVED how good my fuel economy was.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
I wouldn't try and calculate the cost to go cross country just by gas prices and distance. You're going to run into mountains in northern Ontario and high gas costs too since there isnb't that many places to fill up so also they aren't regulated, which is going to effect you a bit, it's not too badwest of there, or east of there for that fact. You will run into the worst gas mileage when you get to Newfoundland as well as the highest gas costs, and some excellent scenery as well. I'm kinda debating driving out next year but don't wanna do it alone, would be nice if I could get some people/cars to go with.

Don't know where you are now but when you're around the Calgary area let me know i'll meet up with you for a bit anyway

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD, you always want to hit it but are afraid of the consequences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
economy , gas , prices , road trip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode