Full Headlights on During the Daytime - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Canada Regional Chevy Cobalt section for Canada

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Full Headlights on During the Daytime

The day running light sensor seems to think it is always night time even in the bright sun. Anyone else experiencing this? It only started the last couple of days but can be really annoying not being able to see the radio and the odometer dials. Any assistance appreciated.

ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Do you have anything laying on top of the sensor? Like a hat or a pair of gloves.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Clean it with a alcohol pad? It's hard to not notice something covering it but you would be surprised. Look for anything covering it's path to the outside light

Sent from my EVO

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Contributor

Are you running HIDs with a wiring harness and forget to pull the DRL fuse?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
I switched from the stock bulbs to HIDs not to long ago. With my year and model (2009 2.2) it was recommended that you pull the DRL fuse. I did this and I only had the headlamps come on during the night, but now suddenly they are on all the time leaving me to believe I am having this same issue?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
got a relay harness?

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

I never place anything on the dash. I don't even know what HID's are so I don't think I have them, but I will clean thoroughly with an alcohol pad even though it doesn't appear dirty there might be a build up on the sensor. I was thinking this over last night this sensor has never really worked the way I thought it should. It never thought it was daylight when in fact the sun was shinning in the early morning and I was just driving with the sun at my back throwing a shadow across the dash. Are these things that sensitive? If anyone has the same experiences please let me know what you did to correct and if you had to get it repaired where did you go and what was the cost.

Thanks again;

ron
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
I'm not using a relay harness. Also, aren't the display lights also controlled by the same sensor, you know the ones that become brighter such as the green type on the DIC and radio face? If so I know it's no the sensor because that always works fine (I.e. if driving during the day time the display dims if I go under a dark highway overpass but re brightens when I come out.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
looks like your issue just might be something relating to your headlight snappa? not too sure

OP might be having a sensor issue though since all his DIC and radio display fades away too. ronh have you done anything different in the last couple of days to your car?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

The only thing i've done in the last week is wash it, but i've washed it before and have had no problems, except that it got quite cold two days after, -8C on the day i washed it to -22C a day and a half later. That should not cause any problems as people wash cars in worse temperatures than that all the time here in Winnipeg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode