High Mounted Centre Brake Lights - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

High Mounted Centre Brake Lights

I have been considering upgrading the three high mounted centre stop light bulbs (912 bulb type) to compatible 912 LEDs, but I understand that on the Cobalt/G5 because of the low load of LEDs would cause cruise control to stop functioning as the BCM depends on the high mounted brake lamps electrical line to switch cruise mode off when the brake pedal is depressed. Is this indeed the scenario that would occur with the 3 high mounted brake lamps if upgraded to LED and would this mean that the 3 high mounted lamps must be filament bulbs (unless some form of load resistors were added)? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You are mostly correct, where you are not quite correct is, the cruise fails to engage when all 3 bulbs have failed or high brake light circuit doesn't work. This is the vehicles way to tell you the high brake light has failed. The cruise gets release by a contact directly from the brake switch to BCM not from the high brake light.

If you leave one filament bulb in and insert 2 LED equivalent lets say on each side of the center bulb this will not affect the cruise module.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
The preferred way to convert the CHMSL to LED was to use one out of a Monte Carlo/Impala. It bolts right into the light housing, and doesn't affect cruise control.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I did this to my 10 Cobalt. It doesn't bolt directly, I had to glue the LED module from the Impala in the Cobalt housing. The only problem with this setup is if you lose your high brake light the vehicle has no way to let you know.

Last edited by Coby7; 07-29-2018 at 10:54 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
You are mostly correct, where you are not quite correct is, the cruise fails to engage when all 3 bulbs have failed or high brake light circuit doesn't work. This is the vehicles way to tell you the high brake light has failed. The cruise gets release by a contact directly from the brake switch to BCM not from the high brake light. If you leave one filament bulb in and insert 2 LED equivalent lets say on each side of the center bulb this will not affect the cruise module.
Thanks for clarifying this. I always had the impression that if just one of the 3 filament bulbs failed in the high mounted brake light, that cruise control would fail to engage, so I always had the impression that all 3 bulbs had to be working. However, if cruise would work with just one of 3 filament bulbs working then just having to replace 2 of the 3 filament bulbs with a pair of LED lamps could be useful because most LED lamps are sold in pairs and I was thinking that I would need to buy 2 pairs of LED lamps to do this upgrade, which I wasn't even sure it was possible or not without disabling cruise. I guess the only concern is whether the 2 LED flanking the centre filament builb would look brighter than the bulb (quite possible I would guess).

While we're on the subject of exterior bulbs, do you know if the Cobalt/G5 uses a flasher relay for the turn signal and hazard mode lights, and if so where that flasher relay is located? I looked at the owner's manual's pages for the centre console fuse board map and also the engine compartment fuse box map and couldn't find such a flasher relay. I'm not sure if the BCM is directly controlling the timing of the turn signal flash, though I do know that I would get hyperflash if one of the front or rear turn signal / brake bulbs died. So I'm thinking there has to be a flasher relay somewhere. Trying to investigate whether I could replace that with an aftermarket LED flasher relay that would just plug in directly and then I could use LEDs for front turn signals and rear brake lights without having to use load resistors, something I prefer not to have to deal with.

Last edited by gmdriver; 07-29-2018 at 12:44 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No flasher relay, these filaments are solidstate driven by the BCM. If you add an LED bulb you also have to add a parallel resistor to stop hyperflashing. Again if you do this and the LED replacement fails your vehicle will not be able to warn via hyperflashing.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
No flasher relay, these filaments are solidstate driven by the BCM. If you add an LED bulb you also have to add a parallel resistor to stop hyperflashing. Again if you do this and the LED replacement fails your vehicle will not be able to warn via hyperflashing.
Right, that's because the load resistor would appear like a working bulb to the BCM so even if the LED brake lamp failed there would be no hyperflash. Thanks for confirming that these lights are directly driven by the BCM. In that case, I'm going to stick with the regular filament bulbs for brake lamps. They are cheap and lasts quite a long time (years) anyway. I'll just upgrade the two side filament bulbs of the high mounted brake light to LED and I think I'm done with all exterior bulbs LED upgrades after that, if I choose to not use any load resistors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode