Unknown noise. Can someone help? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation Unknown noise. Can someone help?

Ok, here is the deal this is my first time on here. i really just look at the information that you all provide. But now i need some help.
When i put my 08 Cobalt in drive there is this wierd vibration noise under the hood, also if i put it in nuetral it gets quieter but doesnt stop. And sometines it even does it when it just in park idoling. If you have anything that would help me with with this issue i would be greatfull. because the noise in a new car is just agravating.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular

Hi jenntony,

Could it be your cooling fan cycling on and off? The fan is electric and not driven off the crankshaft. I can hear mine hum when it comes on, but it's not an aggravating noise.

As always, with a new car, I wouldn't hesitate heading directly back to the dealership with any problem.

Good luck!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

well that may be it but if it is doing it one day it dont stop. but if id dont do it one day it dont do it at all. it sounds like something is loose and vibrating. could it be that cover on the motor? and is that really necessary for the protection of the motor or preformance or someting. can i remove it with no problems?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, you can remove it. Most "first" engine "mods" consist of removing the cover.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

do you think that is where the noise is coming from? thanks i will do that as soon as i get home. so as a new driver to the cobalt i am very happy i just purchaced mine in September. so any advice for peak preformance will be great. not with a enourmous cost though cause i dont have it to spare. Also, i didnt recive a user manual so i really am just using basic owner information on how to take care of. so if you know where to down load it that would be great
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to cobaltTC05
how many miles are on it. hopefully you didnt take it to jiffy lube and they forgot to put oil in lol

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

it has 23 thousand miles, and no i will never take anything to jiffy lube. even though i am a woman i do all of the oil changes myself. as well as anything else that needs to be done for maintnence. so i promise that it has oil in it. i know that is alot of miles but there is work for both of us school for the 2 teenagers and daycare for the toddlers.
-----Added 6 Feb 2009 at 04:14:12-----
can i pain the inside of the headlights on my own and what kind of paint would i use.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

can i pain the inside of the headlights on my own and what kind of paint would i use.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to cobaltTC05
hmm could be tranny, any check engine light?
yea you can, not sure what other people use usually the duplicolor

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

no the only light that is on is the service tire light and i cant get it to go off because the dealership lost the remote and wants me to pay $120 for a new one and have the car there for 2 days so that they can program it. i had a nail in the right front tire and then bought a whole new set. but when the pressure set it off i havent been able to make it go away. and they will not get me a replacement. any ideas on how to make it go away without the remote.
-----Added 6 Feb 2009 at 04:32:39-----
again does anyone know where to download the user manual for a 08 cobalt lt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
engine , general , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode