Engine Fail - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Engine Fail

Hello I am new here. I apologize for the length of my post but I am at my wits end and don't know what to do.
I purchased my Cobalt in Feb. 2005. It had 4 miles on it at the time and I had never had a problem with it. SInce buying it, the dealership I got it from has gone out of business sometime in 2008. I had all my service done at the dealership on a regular basis. So after they closed I got the next oil changed in October 2008, by a friend who does that sort of thing. The last oil change I got was late January of this year at the local Wal-mart. Then a week ago the service engine light came on, the engine made a funny noise and when I turned a corner, it died. I had it towed to the nearest Chevy dealer and they told me the engine was dead and it needed to be replaced. He also told me that in his 15 years of working on cars he had never seen an engine this bad. Now, GM is refusing to honor the powertrain warranty. The car is 4 years old and has less than 34,000 miles on it. How is it possible for the engine to fail like it did? If anyone can offer any kind of advice to help me with this, I would appreciate it more than you know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
sorry to hear about your cobalt! did the dealership say what the cause of the engine fail was? or did they just say "ive never seen one this bad"? if it was related to the wal mart oil change. id see if i could get that in writing from the dealer, and have a little chat with wal mart. good luck! and i hope it works out for you.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

the dealership told me that when they towed it in, there was no oil in it at all, I immediatly called Wal-mart and they assured me that they put oil in it, they also told me that the internal oil filter was broken and couldnt replace that. They didnt tell me that until I called them. The dealership I am dealing with is only saying that I need every service record I have for the car. Which to me is ridiculous. How can I never have a problem with it until now and they say it could be because I havent had the oil changed enough. There is less than 34000 which means - according to them having my oil changed at least every 6200 miles means I would have only had to have had 5 oil changes on it since I have owned it. I know I have had at least 6 or 7. I just dont know what I am going to do. Thank you for your encouraging words of support!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
wal marts story sounds kinda fishy to me. especially after hearing they couldnt get the oil filter off. sounds like they broke it and were trying to hide it.and they may have put oil in it, but that doesnt mean the plug was tightened all the way. do you remember how long between oil change and failure was? i think it would be worth talking to a lawyer about. kind of expensive i know. i dont know enough about this sort of thing to be more help. sorry. but once again, best of luck!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

yeah the oil was changed january 24th the engine failed on february 5 so 12 days.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributor

Garage
I'd deffinetly get in writting (from the dealer that has the car)
what the major problem was caused by, (ie. No Oil, stripped drain plug)
I would then go talk to the general manager at the walmart this was done at
and if you get nothing from them about fixing it........
THEN I WOULD GO SEE A LAYWER...........IMEDITALLY !

sure sounds like walmart had a lot to do with your problem ????????
and please don't take your cars their to get lubed !

07 G5 GT

Cherry's Tree

Randy
Now serving Boost
272whp 276wtq @10psi
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Contributor

You might try the Better Business Bureau too.
Start With Trust -- Start With BBB

2007 LT 2.2
MODS:
GMPP Air Intake * GMPP Extrude Honed Manifold * GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust * Vibrant D/P * Jet Stage 2 Module
MOBIL 1 Synthetic Oil * DC Sport Strut Tower Brace * Color Matched Mirror Covers * EuroAntenna * 30-15 3M FX Tinting
Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS on Premium Wheels

Future MODS:
2.4 Intake Manifold Conversion * 2.4 TB * TUNE
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Cobalt Master

and that is why you keep all your receipts, take the Wal-Mart oil and lube receipt as well as written documentation about the problem to a lawyer, you may become richer than you think
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Forum Regular

don't go to wal mart go to a jiffy lube or do it urself
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

just as an update, I called GM headquarters in MI and they basically told me the same thing, need more receipts. He also told me that when he talked to the dealer that there was some sort of sludge in the engine, I dont know what that means and that is why they need the receipts. I told him about the dealership closing and he said that they probaly shredded their records. Can they do that? I thought they had to be kept for a certain amount of time by someone. Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice! I am still working on digging through boxes for receipts. I just want my car back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode