Back Again, another question for you guys! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Back Again, another question for you guys!

I'm not new to the site, I had a post on here back in the summer time regarding a starting issue which Im happy to report got fixed and it was something simple! Now I now have a new problem and I probably know what I have to do but I figured since you guys are pretty smart on here I'd throw it out here for you guys.

First off I have a 2006 Cobalt 2.2 liter 4 banger, I got 112,000 miles on it and I have had to sink some money into a long the way, all the miles are highway - driving back and forth to work.

Haven't had any issues w/ the car as of late, the only thing done to the car was a O2 sensor was replaced. Which was done over 2weeks ago

Yesterday my check engine light comes on, just out of the blew it comes on, strange part is there is absolutely no issues w/ the car, its starting fine, its running fine, it's driving fine, so strange noises or bangs, or clangs or anything. So I bring it over to my buddies house since he is pretty mechanical and has a code reader, so its pretty simple to do you just plug the code reader into the module on the driver side right under the steering wheel to the left and it gives out the code and you go look it up and your done.

Well it didn't work that way, when the code reader was hooked up (side note, this code reader has been hooked up to my car before and worked fine and the code reader was working fine) there was absolutely no power coming from the module, the reader was dead as can be, tried putting the car into run, still nothing. Took the code reader over to one of his cars, plugged it up worked perfectly fine, went back to my car hooked it up still no power to the reader at all.

So we checked fuses to make sure and none of the major ones were blown out or anything.... tried plugging the code reader up again after checking the fuses still no power to it.... the only thing we could do to clear the check engine light was to unhook the battery for a couple minutes and then plug it back up, after we did that the check engine light went away and it hasn't been back on .... yet. We tried hooking the code reader up after hooking the battery back up and still no power.

The only thing I can do now is just take the car in and get the dealer to hook it up to there machines and get a diagnostic of what's going on, but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so what was wrong? I think this is a two fold problem w/ the module having no power and then the check engine light coming on.

any thoughts or input would be great!

Thanks again guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Admin

Garage
I did some research and other cars had similar problems. Their's was caused by a blown fuse. On one car, it was the same fuse as the cigarette lighter.. No idea if its the same for the Cobalt... but I would continue to check fuses
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
I did some research and other cars had similar problems. Their's was caused by a blown fuse. On one car, it was the same fuse as the cigarette lighter.. No idea if its the same for the Cobalt... but I would continue to check fuses
sweet! thanks for the tip, yo! I'll check that out!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

Yep, the cigarette fuse is the same fuse. But that wouldn't cause a CEL. I have to change my fuse every time i have to read the code. I have an aftermarket dice cigarette lighter and it blows the fuse as soon as i put it back in.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daman View Post
Yep, the cigarette fuse is the same fuse. But that wouldn't cause a CEL. I have to change my fuse every time i have to read the code. I have an aftermarket dice cigarette lighter and it blows the fuse as soon as i put it back in.
thanks the tip man. I'll look into the fuse for the cigarette ligther and see what happens. Hopefully that will fix the power issue on the module, the CEL I have no clue why that would come on but as of today so far it hasn't been back on.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

Yeah no problem man, hope you get it figured out. Also the fuse your looking for is in the fuse box under the hood

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Yeah no problem man, hope you get it figured out. Also the fuse your looking for is in the fuse box under the hood
Sweet! I was about to ask which panel it was in, under the hood or inside the car.

I'll keep ya posted on what I find out, if I can get power back to that module then I can hook the code reader back up and figure out what codes the CEL was coming on for, if it's not the fuse then I have no clue what it would be.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
well dude you were 100 percent right, the fuse for my cig ligther was blown out, replaced it and it's working again which means the module should have power to it as well then.... and the CEL hasn't been back on yet either

appears everything is back to normal for now.....

thanks again for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode