Vehicle Warranty. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Vehicle Warranty.

Since I bought my Cobalt I was wondering if I should get an extended warranty for it, I know a lot of people say nay, but some do say yes, so I feel very mixed on the subject, especially since I've worked in retail and I fully understand the pros and cons of any "peace of mind" warranty.

What are some of your thoughts?
Also, what should I look out as far as issues go for the 06' Cobalt LS?
I've heard there are issues with the key being stuck, steering column vibration, I'm bringing the car into the dealership today to have it inspected and cleaned.

(I drove it off the lot as is the night I bought it)
Should I ask them to do an alignment?
There is alot of wind noise when going 70-85mph
That's about all I can think of right now.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Admin

Garage
Personally, I've never purchased any extended warranties.. I don't keep my cars much more than 5 years anyways. Just about everything is covered up to that 5 years too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

If you plan on modifying the car, do not buy the extended warranty. However the warranty is nice to have when freak things happen. I've used my warranty my fair share of times!

Do you have an automatic? For some reason all of those problems you listed are more commonly found on automatics than the manual.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Contributor

Just to be sure, you are talking about an extended warranty from an authorized dealer, right? The extended warranties from an email or telemarketer should be checked out by an impartial third party BEFORE purchasing or signing. Most of those types are scams.

2007 LT 2.2
MODS:
GMPP Air Intake * GMPP Extrude Honed Manifold * GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust * Vibrant D/P * Jet Stage 2 Module
MOBIL 1 Synthetic Oil * DC Sport Strut Tower Brace * Color Matched Mirror Covers * EuroAntenna * 30-15 3M FX Tinting
Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS on Premium Wheels

Future MODS:
2.4 Intake Manifold Conversion * 2.4 TB * TUNE
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

It's from the dealer.
I've noticed the key SOMETIMES gets stuck..when starting the car, I have to jiggle it a few times to get it to go in.

And yes, I did have an automatic.
I'm planning on putting a new steering wheel, maybe a momo, (I like the feel of them) some HID's, I bought some Pioneer speakers from Circuit City, (5 days left at my job, wohoo) and that's it so far.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

The only problem with putting in a new steering wheel, is you have to eliminate the airbag..

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I know, also I think I need to get that foam or whatever put in to my car?
I have the 06' I was reading that there was a recall due to the side paneling being harmful if not equipped with side air bags.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Forum Regular

I cant get a straight answer on what the cost is for an extended warranty

I totally realize that ext warranties are one of the most marked up items in the F&I department. My 2007 Cobalt is still under the original 36/36K and with my child going off to college next year, there is a peace of mind only a parent can appreciate when there is a problem with the vehicle and they are not around the corner.

So, I've been to 2 different NJ dealers, and there is so much mumbo jumbo on terms, deductibles, etc that my head is spinning.

I'm hoping there is a NICE friendly dealer-ish person lurking who can tell me what it SHOULD cost to get a 3 year 36 month 36 K mileage or something like it. Just a simple number that I can use to know how much leverage I have with my dealer. His first quote knocked my off my feet - $2400 !! I paid less than that for my wife's 04 BMW convertible !!!

Thank you for any advice, and I promise I wont "spill the beans" as to where I got the prices from, just in case you were concerned. And before you ask, I'm not interested in any 3rd party ie Warranty Direct, no matter how good they are.. I want to be able to drive it in to ANY Chevy dealer and have them fix it with either a ZERO or $50 deductible, and I'll be able to sleep at night.

Thanks friends
ED in Metuchen, NJ (the dad)

Last edited by jpcnj; 04-19-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode