Intermediate Steering Shaft Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Intermediate Steering Shaft Question

I’m planning on helping my son change the intermediate steering shaft next weekend. It seems that there are several threads out there talking about the need to keep the steering wheel straight. Except there is no clear video or explanation on how to do that?

Because once we disconnect the intermediate steering shaft I have to be able to keep the steering wheel straight. Can anyone explain in detail how that gets done?

I don’t want to have any problems with the steering wheel not winding up straight.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Forum Regular

I think it locks with the key and if I remember the bottom of the shaft is a key and the top of the shaft is a spline use a Sharpie to Mark the old ones before removal and transfer those marks to the new one when I did mine I was off by one tooth at the top had to redo it couldn't stand it

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

thanks for the help. I forgot to ask one other question. I watched a video where a guy replace the intermediate steering shaft with some new bolts. I can’t find a source or a part number anywhere online for that bolt! No parts diagrams either.

Does anyone have a part number or a source to replace those two bolts on the intermediate steering shaft? My sons car is a 2007 and I don’t wanna count on being able to use those old bolts.

thanks for any help !
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular

I think you both came with mine but you could pick some up at the hardware store and they don't take a lot of torque

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:22 PM
Contributor

Many of the GM parts on line dot coms have a good parts diagram with all hardware listed.

Now the reason one needs to keep the steering wheel imabilized is mainly due to the clock spring. They will not tolerate any abuse. Not very expensive to replace but a PIT? to complete only to discover you hosed the clock spring.

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode