power steering problems - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation power steering problems

Im wondering if anyone else has had problems with their power steering going out at completely random times. Ive read that it is a $30 motor that takes 3 minutes to fix. Ive read that it is a $2000 fix that requires the dealer to swap out the entire steering collumn, and Ive read that it is a fuse. Can anyone shed some light for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Cobalt Master

it can be anything. If your speedometer is jumping around/cutting out while your steering does it, then get your VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) replaced. Lots of cars were having the same issue, and mine in particular caused an accident when it happened.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick452 View Post
Im wondering if anyone else has had problems with their power steering going out at completely random times. Ive read that it is a $30 motor that takes 3 minutes to fix. Ive read that it is a $2000 fix that requires the dealer to swap out the entire steering collumn, and Ive read that it is a fuse. Can anyone shed some light for me?
motor is under the dash
I think its about 150 on ebay

dealer replaced my entire column at about 90k

they know about the problem... warranty or not, don't stop *****ing till its fixed... there is something wrong with the elec steering motors (hell entire steering system) and chevy knows this is happening en masse

got it done free you should too.. probably some cheap chinese junk motors

05 Base ATX, sedan, stock, blue granite, 151k miles
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Expert

Actually so far the electric power steering system has so far proven very reliable. You wouldn't know though, would you? There are a few problems, but as this is a new system, of course it isn't perfect. It will just take awhile to get all the kinks worked out.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Sneezing Daily
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
My advice (because it just happened to me and I am getting it replaced):

Take it to the dealer and have them scan it for codes, they did this to mine and found it was the sensor in the steering column, although it is only the sensor, they are not seperate assembly's no matter who tells you GM does not carry the two parts (column and sensor apart from eachother) they are the same assembly and cost 550 dollars for parts alone. My is 735 dollars plus tax to fix. That is expensive I know.

I called GM though and talked to a service representative and got GM to pay half of the bill just by explaining the issue to them and they called the dealer to work something out, I have them fixing it now and I am getting a whole new Column assembly ass for under 350 dollars.

M62 Powered for Now

S252 Next (Car is gonna be fast and Sneezing, lots!)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Cobalt Master

well, my incident was fixed with a $30 part located on the transmission, but it caused $12k in damage :(
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBaltSS View Post
Actually so far the electric power steering system has so far proven very reliable. You wouldn't know though, would you? There are a few problems, but as this is a new system, of course it isn't perfect. It will just take awhile to get all the kinks worked out.
The Cobalt has been out for 5 years. Methinks a kink like that should have been worked out 4 years ago..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
The Cobalt has been out for 5 years. Methinks a kink like that should have been worked out 4 years ago..
you would think.. seems like all of us will eventually be replacing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cobalt , power steering , power steering problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode