Warranty Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 09cobaltxfe
Warranty Question

On my 09 Cobalt XFE, LS, etc, nothing special, pretty much base, well anyways, on the paperwork it was stated that any modifications to the radio, or addition of speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, etc, would void any and all applicable warranties on my new car. This car was bought brand new. I have never heard of such a thing. I think this is just from my dealer, that they must be tired of computers going, but is this a GM thing now, or is my dealer trying to prevent people from wiring things wrong. Id have to say this voids the Magnuson-Moss Act, but thats just me. Any insight, or preferably, written proof that explains this more in detail, or proves this wrong.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE Coupe - Imperial Blue Metallic - Light Titanium Interior - 5 Speed Manual - Chrome Exhaust Tip - Spoiler - Shorty Antenna - Center Console - 6000k Bi Xenon HID's - Intake Silencer Delete - Tsudo Cat Back Exhaust - 5 Star Alloy Wheels - Yokohama AVIS TRZ Tires

Coming Soon: Injen SRI - Header/Downpipe - Tint - Audio - Eibach Sportlines - Black Interior - Power Window/Door Lock Conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

I have never heard of such a thing.. I'd say go talk to your dealer personally about this.. Maybe ask them if you can have one professionally installed..

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 09cobaltxfe
They did say I could have them install it, but there is no way I am going to go for that. I used to install them day in and day out, and I always use adapters, and proper grounding. I wanted to do an Pioneer AVIC touch screen GPS/DVD, but until I can be assured that they are just trying to cover themselves, I cant do it.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE Coupe - Imperial Blue Metallic - Light Titanium Interior - 5 Speed Manual - Chrome Exhaust Tip - Spoiler - Shorty Antenna - Center Console - 6000k Bi Xenon HID's - Intake Silencer Delete - Tsudo Cat Back Exhaust - 5 Star Alloy Wheels - Yokohama AVIS TRZ Tires

Coming Soon: Injen SRI - Header/Downpipe - Tint - Audio - Eibach Sportlines - Black Interior - Power Window/Door Lock Conversion
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Newcomer

the dealer where I bought mine told me not to do a thing! Or it would void my warrantys!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via MSN to TBone105
That sounds ridiculous. I took my car in today to fix some little things that stopped working, like the temp. I changed out all my speakers and put in two 10'' subs, but the warranty was still fine. Thats got to be just a dealer thing.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Newcomer

Its crazy!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 PM

Garage
I think it's a scam to try to scare you so you have them do installs and they make money on you and threaten with voiding if you don't have them do it.