For those looking/interested in extended GM warranty - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

For those looking/interested in extended GM warranty

I found a site and researched it before plunking down my hard earned cash as we only have about 5 months remaining on our original mfg 3 year/36 mo on my 07 Cobalt Sedan LS. They offer the same GM Protection Plan that the dealer offered me for a lot less.. Example, I bought a 48 mon, 48,000 ADDITIONAL bumper to bumper coverage (with vey few exclusions) with a list price of $985 for $679, no sales tax and including a $24 research charge (to verify VIN, service date, etc) AND ZERO deductible.

I looked into Warranty Direct, and a few others and debated "should I even buy it ?", but with a kid going off to college soon, I didn't want him to get stuck somewhere and this warranty allows him to bring in the car for service to ANY GM dealer. If he had none around him, and the garage wouldnt take it he could put the invoice on a credit card and I would mail it in as an exception and get reimbursed.

There is a lot of debate on the value of a ext warranty vs putting a savings account for repairs, but there isnt a lot one can fix these days for $670, mus less multiple ones over the course of 4 years.

I am NOT affilliated with this company and get no compensation, but merely passing along a good deal...at least I think so..

Here's the link and notice there are different prices below 12K, 24K, and 36 K miles. If you are above 36K or outside the 36 months, you wont get an accepted. Otherwise, the website is GMPP Discounted Prices Online, Calculate Your Own GM Protection Plan Price

If you buy before end of day tomorrow (4/30/09) you can save an additional $50. They take all forms of payment incl credit cards, checks, etc. It's actually sold by a PA Pontiac/Cadillac dealership called Black's GM Outlet. I guess if the cars arent moving its pretty smart to discount ext warranties and keep some money rolling in.

Good luck..
ED

Last edited by jpcnj; 04-28-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 AM
Newcomer

Good stuff. I'm not an extended warranty person at all, I usually don't even discuss it with the salesperson and tell him to save his time and mine

When I bought my 09 Cobalt back in February there was some confusion about the price we talked about on the phone. I basically bought the car over the phone since the only dealer that had one on the lot with all the options I wanted was over an hour away.

Anyway, when we got there and had to haggle a bit more I finally told him $250 a month was my max, and I would absolutly walk away at $251. He FINALLY got me the price of $250 for 60 months. When we go to sign the papers I pass on the extended warranty like I always do. The sales manager tells me he got a better interest rate than he thought he would on the financing and my payment would be $236/Mo.

He goes back to the extended warranty and pulls out the GAP coverage and sells me the only the warranty coverage to 100K for $11/mo added to my payment.

So I had to haggle for almost an hour and a half to get to $250/mo no extended warranty, then I walk out at $247/mo with the 100K warranty, wondering what the hell took so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode