What to look for buying a used Cobalt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

What to look for buying a used Cobalt

I don't currently own a Cobalt but am strongly considering picking one up. I drive about 2000 miles a month, mostly highway, so I want something with good fuel economy. Im looking at something like an 05-06 LS Coupe with a 5 spd. I dont need anything fancy or fast, just something that is going to be relatively inexpensive (<$10,000) and will be reliable for me through the end of my millitary time and finishing up college (I get out in about 6 months and have about 2 years left to finish my degree).

What should I look for when I am Cobalt shopping? Are there any flaws or issues with these cars I should be aware of? I know a bit about doing body work so I know how to check for wreck damage. But what about mechanically, what should I be looking for so I don't get a lemon?

Thanks and I look forward to joining the Cobalt family!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Veteran

congrats on the shopping......i got my 06 LT coupe 5spd with 55k for $8000 out the door from a private dealer......it gets great gas mileage and is a great little car.......there are plenty of them out there just gotta look....just make sure you look for normal wear n tear and the rotors tend to warp so inspect those.....ofcourse things like rust n body work.....good luck any ?'s ask lots of knowledge in this forum dont be shy!!!!! post pics when u get it!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Forum Regular

Just ask for a CarFax up front before anything when you find one you like. If they can't provide you one then go somewhere else.

Things to look for:

Leaking shocks, struts
Oil leaks, clean air filter, fluids are all full
Good tires, no vibration when driving
No pulsation when slowing down (warped rotors) mentioned above
No clunking / knocking when turning the steering wheel left / right (intermediate shaft problems)
Pull the carpet up in areas to check for rust / mildew (water damage)
Trunk, check spare tire area, battery is back there also. Look for rust, battery leakage, etc. Again (water damage)
Listen to engine, ticking, knocks anything abnormal, smoke...
One thing I always look at is the ashtray... see if it's been smoked in. Also can check the cigarette lighter if it has one to see if it's been used.

Again, ask for Carfax before signing anything. ;)

07' Chevy Cobalt SS - GMPP SRI INTAKE / JET PERFORMANCE MODULE
MYSPACE

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

JDBALT, thats a good deal. Im looking at an 06 LS right now that has 50k and they want $7,000 for it. These little Cobalts seem to be a great bargain!

The one I am looking at has the free Carfax report posted on the dealers site, and its a one owner car. The pics look great, so if its as clean as it looks, I will probably snatch it up, so long as they can give me a fair to decent trade value on my truck.

KTOHIO, thanks for the advice. I try to be very thorough going over a vehicle and definetly check for all the basic stuff (battery, fluids, filters, tires). Your advice on the brakes and steering wheel was great.

Thank you all for your help and I will let you know how my shopping turns out.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Veteran

honestly its the best car i have owned so far that is a great deal go for it!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Im not going to lie, Im a big Honda fan. Ive been riding their power sports products since I was about 5 and riding/racing their motorcycles for the last 5 years. My sister has an Acura RSX Type S, and I know lots of friends that have Honda products.

That being said, you really can't get one for under <$10,000 thats newer than 01 or has under 100k. I mean I know they have a great reputation for reliabilty, but so does GM. In my life my family has had 11 or so GMs and all have been great except maybe an early Cadillac STS with a Northstar that burned a lot of oil.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Got a '06, it's been a good little car, have kept up to date with the oil changes and filter replacements. If you ever have to replace battery, it's located in the trunk underneath the carpet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well, just as an update, the used Cobalt I was looking at was junk. Had been hit on the front end, and the bumper was about 3 shades off from the body color, and they had left the grill with a chunk taken out of it. I kept looking for a small car and was oh so close to buying an 03 Civic EX. I saw it last tuesday night, negotiated a pretty good deal, went to my bank wednesday to get a loan, came back thursday and it was gone. My sales guy was off wednesday and another salesman sold it, not realizing I was getting it.

Well, I guess things happen for a reason because on Memorial Day I took delivery of a brank spankin' new 2009 Cobalt LS! She pretty base, 5 speed manual, power nothing, but its all I need to get around and scoot between Norfolk and DC to see my girl. I am military and use Navy Federal Credit Union, so with all the discounts... well I got a heck of a deal on it and got out from all the negative equity I had in my truck!

Oh, and I wanted to mention one thing in here. Carfax... yeah... becareful with that one. Im not gonna slam them because they do provide a good service, but not everything gets reported. I think I'll make a new thread on this one.

09 Cobalt LS 2.2L 5spd Silver Ice Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode