Break in and oil change questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Break in and oil change questions

So I just picked up my 09 'Balt yesterday, "The Wee!" as some of you may have seen. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any guidelines for breaking in the engine. This is my first new car, and I plan to keep her for a long time, so I want to do it right. I'm big into bike racing, and have had a few motors built, and the guy who used to do it always said extended break-ins were BS and there was really no benefit. He always told me that the rings do most of their seating in the first couple hundred miles. His advice was vary you speed, RPM's, and load, but keep below half throttle/about half to 2/3 of your redline for the first 100~200 miles. Then over the next 200 miles slowly allow yourself more freedom with the throttle till around the 300~400 mile mark you are doing some WOT runs up to your redline. Then change the oil and you should be good to go!

Now granted, that's for a bike motor, but I can't imagine an Ecotec is too different. So what do you all think?

Also, what kind of oil do you all run? Does anyone know what comes in the cars from GM? I used to run Mobile 1 in my WRX on 5k intervals with no issues, and I ran Rotella Synthetic in my Dodge Ram on 5k intervals again with no problems. Anyone know of anything better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Im gonna bump myself here because I am still curious. I am already over 300 miles on the car (I do A LOT of driving). I'll probably be at 600 on Saturday and will be up at my folks in Maryland, which is where I usually do my vehicle servicing. So, has anyone done a "break-in" oil change? Would you recommend it or not?

09 Cobalt LS 2.2L 5spd Silver Ice Metallic
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
It may have something on it in your owners manual. Generally don't make any full-throttle starts, avoid making hard stops, and dont tow a trailor for the first 500 miles. In mine it doesn't say anything about the oil other than using 5W-30 when oil changes are due.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Forum Regular

I didnt go past 1/2 in mine until about the 400 mile mark, and I changed the oil at 600, wanted to do it at 500 but didnt get the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode