Are Balts Very Sensitive to Potholes Damage ? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Are Balts Very Sensitive to Potholes Damage ?

hi to all: this is probably a very stupid question but just wanted to get your experience on cobalt sturdiness of the front end (steering, suspension etc.) when one goes over a pothole, recessed manhole cover, etc. I haven't hit anything yet with my new 4 door LS, but am just curious, because, inevitably it'll happen one day to all of us.

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to lobalt
ive hit a few in my 2 years of ownership & my car's hammered... i have no issues...
i think some balts have problems w/ the steering or something-im sure some1 will talk about that tho...

Christy // 2008 HHR SS // instagram: cjay117

Last edited by lobalt; 12-10-2009 at 02:04 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

just don't lower it and you don't have to worry about it. lobalt look into steering rack spacers. Steering Rack Spacers - Over The Top Performance

there are 2 types, one for a mild drop one for a lower drop. I picked up the bigger ones it helps get rid of bump steer by raising the steering rack and leveling the tie rods back to normal angles.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Expert

i hit a giant NY style pot hole a little while back.... nothin

mods... tinted taillights, 1000 watt alpine mono amp, 2 10 inch alpine type "r" subs, basspro slot ported box, xm radio, alpine 6x9 rear speekers, alpine 6.5 front speekers (both type "s",09SS front bumper and lip,black factory headlights, 12k foglights, 10k headlights, slp catback,fe5 suspension with sportlines,black carpet, painted plastics (black) huge custom pink monster sticker... and ofcourse.... BLACKED OUT!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to golfin
I was going a little faster than i should have one night probably 80km/h on this road and they were doing construction but they didn't put up signs around this manhole cover that was about 5 inches above the street level...hit it hard I mean hard and was soo scared I pulled over expecting to have exploded the whole front right end, but everything was fine..it held up good

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Yeah.. I've hit the biggest potholes you could think of at 60mph, and managed to hit a 3in tall curb doing 25- so I don't think you should worry

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
My balt is lowered w/ koni setup and I have had to replace the control arm bushings twice now and will be doing it a 3rd time shortly. Dealership still covers it. I need to get the spacers to help it out a little. With the new body kit i am putting on next year ill be looking into a bag setup.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Rocket Send a message via MSN to Rocket
I lived on a dirt road for 3years with this car and it's had no problems. This summer I launched it off of a bump on the 495 in mass and no issues either lol.

Does not play well with others.
(10:36:30 AM) Yield2No1: I love how you tell me that knowing the technical side of things is everything
(10:36:43 AM) Yield2No1: Then you tell me that a cobalt TC doesnt have an optional rear diff
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Contributor

My front swaybar endlinks went and I suspect it might have had something to do with bumps. If so, it would be disappointing, since I dodge potholes and frost heaves like it's my job.

That being said, you should be fine. The Cobalt isn't the sturdiest car I've ever driven, but it handles imperfections better than average. Keep in mind your 2.2 should handle bumps better than mine given the much softer suspension.

Now that I think about it, the Cobalt rental I once had took bumps REALLY well. I drove that thing like I stole it and it never really complained.

2009 Cobalt SS/TC - Black, Black/Black Int., G85, Sunroof, debadged - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode