Winter Storage Damage - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
Winter Storage Damage

As some of you may know I put my car up for the winter. Due to the fact that I do not have a garage where I can store my car, a friend and I set up canopy tents for our cars. We had 3 tents told, had them staked to the ground, and 80 gallons of water tied to them for added weight. This past week we had wind gusts up to 50 mph and they took their toll. I got a call stating that the tents had gotten damaged but from the descriptions I got I didn't think things were too bad. I made my way over today to asses the damage and was astonished by why what I saw. Several of the tents pipes were completely broken and or bent, the canopy has multiple holes, and damage was done to the cars. I was also told that the tent that was over my car flew a good 30 yards into the neighbors yard.

Lucky for my I have full coverage and a lower deductible for comprehensive. The top edge of my driver side fender is completely scuffed and has a good 10 - 15 dings in it, My cf hood, both doors, and divers mirror, front drivers wheel, and spoiler all have multiple scuffs and scratches. The best way I can describe the scuffed area is that it almost looks like left over duct tape residue. I didn't get a chance to take any pics but I will and post them as soon as I can. My guess is that there is well over $1000 in damage but I will have to pay to $250 deductible. I filed the claim with the insurance company today (which is also my bday...great gift lol) and they said an adjuster will contact me before noon on Monday.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to LSlowBalt
That sucks hopefully they will cover the CF hood to.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
They will cover everything. As long as I can prove that there was no prior damage to the vehicle and that the parts were on before the accident they will cover it even tho its aftermarket. I have tons of pics to prove my case and progressive is the only company that will insure my car due to the fact that it has $3000+ in mods which they are aware of.

Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to LSlowBalt
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 PM
jim2029

an idea... Around me there is storage units that have bigger units. Most will let ya store a small car in them, and only a few require less than a gallon of gas in them at the storage. Maybe something to look into.

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
I can not afford to keep my car in storage. Also ones around me if you are storing a car its just behind a fence. They wont let you put them in the unit. Also w/ the alarm active and the car not running, a trickle charger needs to be attached to keep the battery alive. Almost all places do not have electrical outlets. But the thought had crossed my mind. Its the first year I have been able to put it up and look what happens lol

Show Off Thread

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Forum Regular

get a car cover!!!!!!

yah that will definatly protect from snow, high winds, small flying objects ex. branches, bird crap, rocks, dirt. and also some what help keep your car warm; make sure to drive it on good days every now and then
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
The adjuster called this morning and told me that it would be covered under comprehensive as a falling object. I will be taking her to the shop this afternoon so that the insurance people can look at it tomorrow. I will take my camera with me to take pics and will post them up later on this afternoon or evening

Show Off Thread

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Forum God

hmm that really sucks. Screw the tents, just fasten a good car cover to it and that should be fine. Enough to keep the elements from getting to it directly.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
Here is the news everyone has been waiting for. I got a call from the insurance company today and they told me to go ahead and take the car to the shop. I took it to my buddies shop and he told me that the entire car pretty much needs to be repainted. I will be taking this opportunity to do the 2 tone paint job scheme as well as install the kit parts. He even told me that depending on what the adjuster marks the damage as he will try and work in my $250 deductible so that I will not have to pay out of pocket for it. When I get the car back she should be kitted and 2 toned for little or no out of pocket expense. Here are some pictures that show some of the damage. A lot of the damage is hard to see because it was raining most of the day and didnt want to show up clearly in the pics.

Show Off Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode