Dash Electrical Issue - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Dash Electrical Issue

I don't know if anyone has ever seen or heard of this but while driving from time to time i have the e-brake and or high beam indicator light come on in my dash. The brake is not on and the lights are on low beam. the light will stay on for approx. 2-3 sec and shut off again. I'm thinking maybe a sensor going bad but i can't see how the e brake or high beam are connected in any way.
Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
im having headlight issues too. mine wont shut off with the e-brake engaged either. or with the car running. or under other conditions. just seems random.most of the time the fogs go off, but not the low beams...
and i have to make sure they are off before i leave it. i found out the hard way with a dead battery. apparently the 10 min. switch in mine doesnt work either.

the thing that pisses me off the most is i didnt get aftermarket headlights because i heard they had issues. lol
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:07 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

it could have something to do with the light sensor on the dash. I am interested to hear more this is a problem I'd have to get my hands on to really understand. 8000k hid's for about a year no problems at all just a few dead batteries lol.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Forum Regular

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-06-03-004

Date: June 10, 2009

Subject: Intermittent Illumination of MIL, Service Lamps, Service Messages, or DTC Set by Various Control Modules - Diagnosing and Repairing Fretting Corrosion (Disconnect Affected Connector and Apply Dielectric Lubricant)

Models:
2005-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2005-2009 HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

Condition

Some customers may comment on an intermittent malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), service lamp or service message being illuminated or displayed.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a buildup of nonconductive insulating oxidized debris known as fretting corrosion, occurring between two electrical contact surfaces. This may be caused by any of the following conditions:

- Vibration
- Thermal cycling
- Poor connection/terminal retention
- Micro motion
- A connector, component or wiring harness not properly secured resulting in movement

On low current signal circuits this condition may cause high resistance, resulting in intermittent connections.

On high current power circuits this condition may cause permanent increases in the resistance and may cause a device to become inoperative.

Representative List of Control Modules

The following is only a representative list of control modules that may be affected by this condition and does not include every possible module for every vehicle.

- Blower Control Module
- Body Control Module (BCM)
- Communication Interface Module (CIM)
- Cooling Fan Control Module
- Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)
- Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module (EBTCM)
- Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) Module
- Engine Control Module (ECM)
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Control Module
- Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)
- Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR)
- Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Correction

Important
DO NOT replace the control module, wiring or component for the following reasons:- The condition is intermittent and cannot be duplicated.
- The condition is present and by disconnecting/reconnecting the connector the condition can no longer be duplicated.

Use the following procedure to correct the conditions listed above.

1. Install a scan tool and perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle. Retrieve and record any existing history or current DTCs from all of the control modules (refer to SI).

^ If any DTC(s) are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle to identify the connector(s) of the control module/component which may be causing the condition (refer to SI).
^ If DTCs are not set, refer to Symptoms - Vehicle to identify the connector(s) of the control module/component which may be causing the condition (refer to SI).

2. When identified, use the appropriate DTC Diagnostics, Symptoms, Schematics, Component Connector End Views and Component Locator documents to locate and disconnect the affected harness connector(s) which are causing the condition.

Note
Fretting corrosion looks like little dark smudges on electrical terminals and appear where the actual electrical contact is being made. In less severe cases it may be unable to be seen or identified without the use of a magnifying glass.

Important ^ Use ONLY a clean nylon brush that is dedicated to the repair of the conditions in this bulletin. DO NOT apply an excessive amount of dielectric lubricant to the connectors as hydrolock may result when attempting to mate the connectors.

3. With a one-inch nylon bristle brush, apply dielectric lubricant to both the module/component side and the harness side of the affected connector(s).
4. Reconnect the affected connector(s) and wipe away any excess lubricant that may be present.
5. Attempt to duplicate the condition by using the following information:

- DTC Diagnostic Procedure
- Circuit/System Description
- Conditions for Running the DTC
- Conditions for Setting the DTC
- Diagnostic Aids
- Circuit/System Verification

- If the condition cannot be duplicated, the repair is complete.
- If the condition can be duplicated, then follow the appropriate DTC, Symptom or Circuit/System Testing procedure (refer to SI).

Repair Order Documentation

Important
The following information MUST be documented on the repair order. Failure to do so may result in a chargeback.

- Customer vehicle condition.
- Was a Service Lamp or Service Message illuminated? If yes, specify which Service Lamp or Service Message.
- Was a DTC(s) set? If yes, specify which DTC(s) were set.
- After following the procedure contained within this bulletin, could the condition be duplicated?

- If the condition was not duplicated, then document the affected module/component connector name and number on the repair order.

- If the condition was duplicated after the procedure contained within this bulletin was followed, and additional diagnosis led to the replacement of a module or component, the SI Document ID Number MUST be written on the repair order.

Parts Information

Alternate Distributor For All of North America

Note
NyoGel(R) 760G Lubricant* is equivalent to GMSPO P/N 12377900, and P/N 10953529 (Canada), specified for use to correct the condition in this bulletin.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for, or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the appropriate/closest labor operation depending upon the module/component connection that the dielectric lubricant was applied to use the table above.

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular

INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 08-06-03-009A

Date: October 29, 2008

Subject:
Reducing Electrical Intermittents - Recrimping Electrical Connectors and Inspection of Related Wiring Harness Connections When Diagnosing Miscellaneous DTCs, Intermittent Driveability Concerns, Hard Start, No Start, Incorrect Gauges, Inoperative I/C Systems, ECM, TCM, SES/4WD Lamps Illuminated

Models:
2005-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2009 HUMMER H2
2006-2009 HUMMER H3
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

Attention: In some circuits where modules compare electrical values to determine proper operation or functioning, resistance differences as small as "milli-ohms" between wires may cause Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) to set. It is not possible to judge the electrical resistance of a crimped connection down to these fine values with a common Volt/Ohm Meter (VOM). If an intermittent DTC is being set (especially in an EBTCM, TPS, or ECM circuit) you should recrimp the terminals to the wires on both ends of the suspected harness before assuming the affected module is at fault.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add additional information and to provide a dedicated Labor Operation for Recrimping Electrical Terminals. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-03-009 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Electrical Intermittents / Recrimping Terminals

Electrical Intermittents can be a source of frustration for technicians and extended downtime for vehicles. Some circuits in vehicles are not only susceptible to an intermittent connection, but high resistance may also cause erratic operation or DTCs. An often overlooked possibility in the diagnostics of intermittents is the quality of the terminal crimps.

Note: In some circuits where modules compare electrical values to determine proper operation or function, resistance differences as small as "milli-ohms" may cause Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) to set. It is not possible to judge the electrical resistance of a crimped connection down to these fine values with a common Volt/Ohm Meter (VOM). If an intermittent DTC is being set (especially in an EBTCM, TPS, or ECM circuit), you should recrimp the terminals to the wires on both ends of the suspected harness before assuming the affected module is at fault.

Diagnostic Methodology

When servicing a vehicle for any type of electrical concern, the following steps are imperative. Inspect and ensure the integrity of all related wiring harness connectors. If the wiring harness connectors are not properly constructed or engaged before they are locked together, numerous types of intermittent conditions can occur, which may include any of the symptoms listed in the Subject title above and possibly others.

1. Once you have isolated the circuit that connects the components in question, perform a visual and physical inspection of the wiring harness connectors for integrity. Many times, the vehicle may be repaired just by disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors. As with all repairs to wiring harness connectors and terminals, a pull test of the terminals within the connector should be performed. A pull test is performed by inserting the proper size terminal test tool (not a paper clip) into the terminal to determine whether or not the terminal is making good contact, or whether the terminal has been damaged from the prior improper connection or lack of connection.

Notice: Most terminals used in current module connectors (ECM, BCM, EBTCM and the like) are small 0.64 mm sq. terminals and can be damaged by probing with the wrong tool. The J 35616-64B probe has been designed for these terminals that may be either a round or square design.

Important: It is suggested that all prior J-35616-64 test probes prior to version B be discarded.

2. In many instances once the electrical integrity of a harness is verified, most technicians will question the associated module or component. While this may seem to be a reasonable assumption, it is possible for a harness that tests as electrically conductive to be the source of an intermittent concern.

Important: The suspect electrical harness should have the terminal pins re-crimped before replacing a module or component that test as "OK."

3. The correct crimping tool is required in order to consistently provide secure electrical connections. Please use crimping tool J-3812564 for the Delphi style .64 connectors. The crimping dies are identified with letters numbers or colors on each tool. Always refer to the reference guide to determine which die(s) to use for a given terminal.

Important: Always refer to the reference guide to determine which die(s) to use for a given terminal.

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Forum Regular

As shown in the above technical bulletins there is an electrical problem with these gm's so it could be bad sensors or faulty wiring, the grounds could be going bad too.....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

I've never noticed anything like that yet. that's shitty though. I guess I skimmed past that bulletin at work. this would explain my door lock situation though!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
good old GM electrical issues...
thanks for the info dragon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode