05' Cobalt Nearly Stalls when Sitting at Redlight...... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

05' Cobalt Nearly Stalls when Sitting at Redlight......

It is a 2005 Chevy Cobalt with 67,xxx miles on it. Sometimes when she stops at a redlight the car feels like it is about to shut off. The tachometer falls well below 500 RPMs for a second or two and then the car comes right back to life. It feels like it is on the verge of stalling, but never does. It also doesnt do this very often at all. It seems it does it in when it is cold outside and not so much in the summer. We live in Georgia, so it doesnt get too cold for long periods of time. The car seems to run fine with no power loss or any other weird fuel type issues.

We had the battery checked after a buddy told me his old Jeep used to do this until he replaced the battery. The battery was fine and dandy and the car still does this every so often. I am running and injector cleaning solution in it now. I will have to look if this car has an external fuel filter that I can get to and change and I may change the spark plugs after I read the service manual on it. I do our oil changes on all 3 cars, but since we are fairly newly married I havent gotten all the ins and outs of this one.

I was just curious if any of you guys had suggestions in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to lobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrolux View Post
It is a 2005 Chevy Cobalt with 67,xxx miles on it. Sometimes when she stops at a redlight the car feels like it is about to shut off. The tachometer falls well below 500 RPMs for a second or two and then the car comes right back to life. It feels like it is on the verge of stalling, but never does. It also doesnt do this very often at all. It seems it does it in when it is cold outside and not so much in the summer. We live in Georgia, so it doesnt get too cold for long periods of time. The car seems to run fine with no power loss or any other weird fuel type issues.

We had the battery checked after a buddy told me his old Jeep used to do this until he replaced the battery. The battery was fine and dandy and the car still does this every so often. I am running and injector cleaning solution in it now. I will have to look if this car has an external fuel filter that I can get to and change and I may change the spark plugs after I read the service manual on it. I do our oil changes on all 3 cars, but since we are fairly newly married I havent gotten all the ins and outs of this one.

I was just curious if any of you guys had suggestions in the meantime.
My car did the same stupid thing last winter... except sometimes it WOULD shut off... 08 LS auto w/ id say it had about 1xxxx miles on it then. Anyways, the winter grade gas here is CRAP & i got water in my tank. My car ran like butt, and then the water in it froze one time & it wouldnt start for 3 days. When i would drive, it would miss so bad, i'd have to pull to the side of the road & let it get done missing, then it would be fine. I would throw a CEL when it was doing that too, sometimes flashing, sometimes solid, took it to the dealer & they said it was bad gas. Happend pretty much every time I got gas last winter, i was so pissed i wanted rid of the car. I put in some of that gas treatment in the white & red cans that gets the water out of the gas, i cant remember what its called, and that helped. Ive been lucky this winter & it hasnt done it since. Try that stuff, maybe its just water in poor winter grade gas?

Christy // 2008 HHR SS // instagram: cjay117
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular

I was having that happen to me, give it a tune up, clean the maf, clean the throttle body, etc.

If the general maintenance doesn't work could be one of three things from what I have researched.

Throttle body assembly (I just replaced mine, I'll let you know how that goes in the week)
APPS (my DTC codes said it wasn't likely it was this part and more likely the TBA)
ECM

This is a very common problem on these balts, that has a ton of causes.

I know not very helpful but these are the things that typically make a difference.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Forum Regular

Oil change has no effect on this. Also, battery neither once the car is started. One must go through all the visuals then maybe check fuel pressure (a pain), then verify good spark (in dark garage), then air supply. Thats it, people. Fuel, Air, and Fire.....

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobalt View Post
I put in some of that gas treatment in the white & red cans that gets the water out of the gas, i cant remember what its called, and that helped. Ive been lucky this winter & it hasnt done it since. Try that stuff, maybe its just water in poor winter grade gas?
It is an alcohol, usually methanol /isopropanol combo. Works by alcohols absorbing moisture. If you know a chemist get some 100% isopropyl alcohol and dump a pint of it per tankful of gas. Avoid the diluted rubbing alcohol from drugstores.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

checkin fuel pressure is easy on any other car with a valve! idk why we dont have those.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff_drift_lol View Post
checkin fuel pressure is easy on any other car with a valve! idk why we dont have those.
Fuel pressure check is usually NOT that easy...and a mess too, but hey, sometimes necessary.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks guys. I was going to check all things I could that relate to air, fuel and fire. Once I do that We'll see what happens. On my short list are: new air filter, new fuel filter, new spark plugs and clean the MAF and throttle body.

Is there a how-to here on changing the plugs (gap)? I haven't been under the hood of this car much and dont know what to expect. Maybe it is pretty simple. If I can get the intercooler off my other car to change plugs then surely this car cant be hard.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Forum Regular

my 05 has done it since i have owned it, i have heard its was a bunch of thing like grade of gas,clean the TB, maf, map, ect. and i have done all that it still does it, but i also head its a ecu problem and gm release a re flash for the ecu. i havent check in to it, but i was told by a gm tech. it was a defect on some early 05s like i said i havent really looked into it.

Last edited by Bad05ss; 01-11-2010 at 07:46 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 AM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to LSlowBalt
mine did that till I had a dealership retune it for about $80 and It has been fine since
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode