Compression Issue - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Compression Issue

Cylinder 1-3 have about 180 and cylinder 4 is only like 25. Its dumping raw oil into the 4th Cylinder. Any Ideas?

2006 Cobalt SS/SC. Black.
Fujita CAI, Vibrant Header and Downpipe w/High Flow Cat, Corsa Cat-back, Koni Adjustables, AeroForce SS Interceptor Gauge, Hurst STS, 60lb injectors, 2.8" pulley, Dual Pass, Option B, Cobra H/E, Eibach Pro Kit springs, DC sports strut bar, MPx Shorty Antenna, Black Front Bowtie. Black Gen4's. HPTuners.

Last edited by black06SS; 01-11-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

um...well you can start by taking off your oil fill cap with the engine running. it should be hella smokey. could be a head gasket issue or worn/busted rings. maybe a valve is loose. any noises? check your oil for coolant. check your coolant for oil. take out the plug and see what the deal is with that. take lots of pics and report back here!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
I don't have the car right now. It's at the dealer. Took it in to have My Header and Downpipe installed for free....long story. The 4th plug comes out with oil on it. There is no noise but the car is burning oil and smoking bluish smoke out the exhaust even before I took it in.

Fujita CAI, Vibrant Header and Downpipe w/High Flow Cat, Corsa Cat-back, Koni Adjustables, AeroForce SS Interceptor Gauge, Hurst STS, 60lb injectors, 2.8" pulley, Dual Pass, Option B, Cobra H/E, Eibach Pro Kit springs, DC sports strut bar, MPx Shorty Antenna, Black Front Bowtie. Black Gen4's. HPTuners.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM

yeah you got bad rings alright. unless it's a bad valve seal. how many miles on the car?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to ilovecars
worst case senario is you cracked a cylinder liner :D
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
76,xxx. What pi$$e$ me off is I just bought the car Dec 4th. This all started happening Dec27th. The Dealer agreed to put the header and downpipe on @ no charge when I found out the cat was bad. I don't know what they are gonna do about this. The car was used/as is but c'mon....I didn't blow the thing up in two weeks(drove 4x4 other week in snow) Gave me an estimate of 3k to replace 1 piston ring. This is without taking anything apart yet.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:04 PM

yeah replacing rings is something you need to be well equipped for too. 3 grand is more than the motor is worth

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
that is what I told the guy. I found an engine on Ebay in Wisconsin for 1950 with all the accessories, including the supercharger with only 60k on it.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 PM

well you can't be too sure til you rip it apart. it'd either an intake valve seal or the rings. valve seal is much easier to replace. you can do it without even removing the head.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode