Cobalts Don't Handle Roadkill to Well! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Cobalts Don't Handle Roadkill to Well!

Well, I didn't get the new Silver Star Headlamps fast enough...I hit a medium size dog head on last night! It was running down the middle of a busy 2 lane high way directly at me. My lights never caught it until it was too late. I was only doing 45mph but the dog completely broke the center of the front fascia off and bent the a/c condenser back about 3 inches as it went under the car! The car still runs fine and I can't see any damage to the radiator or fan, but it will be going to the dealer today for inspection and repairs. Definitely going to need a new SS fascia and condenser. I just hope nothing happened to the engine mounting or anything like that. The impact was not enough to set of the air bags, but it did hit hard!

I don't think the dog made it...I couldn't stop because it is on a curve and it would have been extremely dangerous. I would have liked to get a tag or something off the dog so the owner can pay for damages, there aren't even any houses in the area of the hit. I do feel bad for the dog, but I hope the Cobalt will be OK!

Yea, tho I cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice, I will fear no Turbo,
for Torque art with me. Thy rods and crankshaft, they comfort me.

Last edited by RocketFoot; 01-14-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
i doubt you did any major damage to the car....
i feel bad for the poor puppy though. irresponsible dog owners SUCK!!!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Expert

poor car and poor dogg

Doesnt even look like this anymore but im still gonna keep this because its sweet

08' 2door Lt special Edition
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Forum God

Yea poor bumper, and poor dog.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Forum Regular

As a dog owner I hate to hear of dogs getting killed...

As a dog owner who had a dog hit by a car (I allowed someone else to watch my dogs and they either werent paying attention and didn't do their tie down connections right on their collars right or someone let them off) I don't care for people who hit dogs and do't find a place to stop and and least make an effort to contact the owner..

And I really hate stupid people who don't pay attention to their animals, don't make sure they are safe in a fenced yard or tied down properly, or worse think it's ok to let them run.

Bad situation all together, I feel bad about the car but cars are material and can be fixed. A life on the other hand, any life, is worth more than a car.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon300zx View Post
As a dog owner I hate to hear of dogs getting killed...

As a dog owner who had a dog hit by a car (I allowed someone else to watch my dogs and they either werent paying attention and didn't do their tie down connections right on their collars right or someone let them off) I don't care for people who hit dogs and do't find a place to stop and and least make an effort to contact the owner..

And I really hate stupid people who don't pay attention to their animals, don't make sure they are safe in a fenced yard or tied down properly, or worse think it's ok to let them run.

Bad situation all together, I feel bad about the car but cars are material and can be fixed. A life on the other hand, any life, is worth more than a car.
X2! I hate drivers who hit dogs and dont stop.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
Man, sorry to hear about the car. That really sucks. Shame about the dog, too.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Yeah, it's a bad deal for the car and the dog. I would have stopped, but there was no where to do it safely and I also know the area and there are no houses for well over a mile. So I would have never known who the owner was. I didn't see a collar on the dog either. I wrote him off as abandoned or stray. If he didn't meet his end on the highway, coyotes would have probably got him in the longrun.

Yea, tho I cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice, I will fear no Turbo,
for Torque art with me. Thy rods and crankshaft, they comfort me.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Contributor

How did you front lip fair in the wreck? Most of the time they usually get torn off or are pretty messed up.

As for not stopping when you hit a dog, I was with my dad one time and a dog ran out onto the road, he couldn't stop in time and hit the dog. Trying to be nice since we saw where the dog came from we stopped. We had people yelling at, threatening to sue, telling us to be a new dog, etc. It was a big scene that could've been avoided with a leash. If I hit anything now I'll move it to the side of the road, but I won't go looking for the owners.

Mods: debaged, carbon fiber hood, painted interior trim, lowered

2008 Sport Sedan 2.4
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Forum Regular

My dog could have been saved if the person who hit him had bothered to stop and call one of the numbers on the tag.

Instead he laid there and suffered for 30 minutes till some other decent person did stop can call and took him to the vet, by then it was too late.

If the dog is dead, yes then its sad and it's too late, but you never know the dog could stand a chance of being saved and it should be the owners who get to decide the dogs fate at that point, not a hit and run driver.

If you hit a dog and it is still breathing or showing any signs of life and you don't call the owners you are no different from any other hit and run driver.

The OP's situation with where there was no way to safely stop and help the animal is one thing (and that has to be left up to the individual) but if you hit a dog, you should try to do whatever you can to help the dog and if it is dead prevent it from being a road hazard and some poor little kid wondering for the rest of their lives what happened to their dog.

Life sucks sometimes but being an adult and driving is about being responsible.

Last edited by dragon300zx; 01-14-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode