Spare Tire Trouble - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Spare Tire Trouble

so i hit a pot hole :( bent my rim, shattered the tire, now its a long story because putting on the spare was not easy because i didnt have the lug key for my rims so it was a pain to get the wheel off, but i eventually did with help from my friends dad(who works at a shop)

so i put the spare on and use the aftermarket lugs to keep it on (barely fit on but they got me home)

so the next day i get OEM lugs for my spare that way it will hold on better, and the spare is wobbling. so i take it to the shop and make sure its put on right, so they do that, but the tire is still wobbling(got pulled over just for the cop to tell me my tire is wobbling).

so one lug ended up popping off, so i was riding on 3/4 lugs, but the car was still driving, then the other night ANOTHER LUG CAME Off so now i cant drive my car. i orderd the replacement rim and it will be here in 2 weeks. but what do i do until then?

-already chekd local shops for a set of OEM wheels, no luck..
any help would be greatly appreciated to get my baby rollin until i get the replacement rim.

06 Majestic Amethyst Cobalt Coupe Lt ----------------------------------------------------
Completed Modifications: 17"Aftermarket rims/tires, Completely Debadged, 2 12 inch JL Audio's, Rocksford Fosgate 1200watt amplifier, Kenwood LED headunit, Anzo black housed headlights, black painted front badge, removed door guards/factory pinstripes, VHT nightshaded brake lights, KNN air filter, aftermarket exhaust system
soon: CAI, Eibach Sportlines, 18" rims w/tires, CF trunk/hood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to lobalt
you mean the stud broke?

if that's it, its an easy fix... go to an auto parts store & tell them you need 2 studs, they're only like $1.60 or something like that... i had one break on me & took like 15min to replace (well, dad did it, lol)

Christy // 2008 HHR SS // instagram: cjay117
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

what exactly are you reffering to, sorry im sorta new tho this kinda thing

06 Majestic Amethyst Cobalt Coupe Lt ----------------------------------------------------
Completed Modifications: 17"Aftermarket rims/tires, Completely Debadged, 2 12 inch JL Audio's, Rocksford Fosgate 1200watt amplifier, Kenwood LED headunit, Anzo black housed headlights, black painted front badge, removed door guards/factory pinstripes, VHT nightshaded brake lights, KNN air filter, aftermarket exhaust system
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddaayy View Post
what exactly are you reffering to, sorry im sorta new tho this kinda thing
ha, its ok...

so what broke? the twisty part that the lug nut screws onto? if so that's the stud & you just need new ones... lemme get my pix...

these are the pix i took when mine broke... is this what ur talkin about?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

no i think the studs are fine..
but i could be wrong, ill check when i get home..

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

if it is the studs, where do i go to get new ones, and how do you put em on

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddaayy View Post
no i think the studs are fine..
but i could be wrong, ill check when i get home..

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

if it is the studs, where do i go to get new ones, and how do you put em on
i got my replacement @ advance auto & dad fixed mine, i knwo ya gotta take the caliper/break/rotor & everything off & beat the broke one out & then beat the other ones back thru... as far as HOW to take all that off, idk, maybe some1 else does.....

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Expert

Dude it sounds like your wheel hub and bearing is gone. Or somebody is a retard and put the spare on backwards. But if the hole was that bad, and the wheel was correctly mounted, then your hub is busted.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

ya idk exactly what the problem is, when i get home im gonna inspect it and see if i notice anything. all i know is i wish i wouldn of hit that dam pothole. lol. i put the spare on the right way and it was wobblin then i went to a shop and asked em to make sure it was on the right way and everything and the dude said all they had to do was tighten the lugs more, which doesnt make any sense because i tightened them really good, and im guessing they would of said something if the studs were broke or whatever else ya know? unless they are just completely ignorant but i thought proffessional shops are supposed to tell you when something is wrong that u didnt know about

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Expert

Then you have a busted wheel hub assembly. Thats going to have to be replaced or the same thing is going to keep happening, breaking studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode