06 Cobalt Oil Leak - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

06 Cobalt Oil Leak

I have had two oil leaks in the past 3 months, both of them resulting from cracked O-rings in the oil filter cap, i know the oil is not overfilled because i have done my last two oil changes and have ensured all oil is drained out before I refill with the manufacturers reccomended amount. However the oil change done before these two was done at an auto shop, and when i did my first oil change I noticed that they overfilled the oil by about a quart, i'm not sure if this caused any damage. Also both times the O-rings cracked its been below freezing and snowing with high winds. Anyone got any advice to why they keep breaking???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Maybe...over-tightening

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

possibly . . . anyone else had these problems?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Expert

i never had MY car leak... but ehrn i was 16 i worked for a jiffy lube.. i NEVER changed the o rings on the cartrage filters.. when i started workin for chevy last year i was in a rush one day and didnt change on.. the car came back 4 days latrer PISSING oil outta the houseing...

u should always change that oring i learned my lesson

mods... tinted taillights, 1000 watt alpine mono amp, 2 10 inch alpine type "r" subs, basspro slot ported box, xm radio, alpine 6x9 rear speekers, alpine 6.5 front speekers (both type "s",09SS front bumper and lip,black factory headlights, 12k foglights, 10k headlights, slp catback,fe5 suspension with sportlines,black carpet, painted plastics (black) huge custom pink monster sticker... and ofcourse.... BLACKED OUT!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakdOut07LT View Post
i never had MY car leak... but ehrn i was 16 i worked for a jiffy lube.. i NEVER changed the o rings on the cartrage filters.. when i started workin for chevy last year i was in a rush one day and didnt change on.. the car came back 4 days latrer PISSING oil outta the houseing...

u should always change that oring i learned my lesson
The thing i dont get is that the oring has been replaced with my oil changes and still ive had 2 crack, its just strange . . .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Think ive figured it out, could it be that since i never lubed the oring before installation it dried out, or perhaps its just not giving it the best seal it could
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
you always lube the oring before putting the cap on... its in the instructions.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Expert

You can reuse the rings a few times, just dont overtighten them. Always lubricate a new ring. Never over tighten the cap because the ring is doing all the sealing work.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Newcomer

the new filter is supposed to contain a new ring! its there for a reason!! And YES please lube the ring!! to prevent it drying and cracking and causing the exact problems discussed here.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
also, where are you putting the new o ring? the original o ring is kinda hard to spot if you haven't done it before being it is the same color and almost feel of the oil filter cap... there is a groove it goes in but you gotta pull the old one out with a flat head screw driver or a knife. then lube up the new one and put it in that groove. if it isn't in the groove, the stresses will make it crack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode