Heat + Cold - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Heat + Cold

Interesting question I have, didn't seem to find an answer did a quick search, starting your car in the cold and cranking the heat up as soon as you start your car while the engine is cold, any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
The Heat won't work until the engine is warm, it uses Coolant to heat the inside of your car, Cold Coolant = Cold air... I always deal with the cold in the morning for about two to five minutes, check the Coolant temp on the DIC and when it reaches about 135, that is when I can start feeling the warm air...

Why have Cold air blowing around in your car making you colder when you can wait five minutes to be toasty???
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

well i usually start it with the heat on and then leave my car on for about 5 - 7 minutes then go out to drive , and its toasty, i wanted to make sure thats ok 2 do

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Garage
Its alright, but your not getting any progress for at least three minutes of that idle time... Its better to just start the car up and go... It says in my owners manual at least to Not idle for extended periods of time, and to me, starting it up and letting it sit for almost ten minutes, that extended, it isn't a diesel. I'd say start it up, wait a couple minutes, get in the car and go, by time you are at the exit of your neighborhood you can turn the heat on full blast and it will warm you up quickly.

Also, if you haven't done already, switch to a higher quality engine oil so you don't risk damaging during cold starts. Lower quality oils don't protect in below freezing temps as well as a quality synthetic does.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I use my car start in the morning (I leave the heat on 4 when I shut it off for the night), but I only like to do it for 3-5 minutes..

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM
mmmm rice<3

Garage
funny this is brought up...i start my car for like 5-10 mins before i leave monday - friday. today i started it, shut it off. went out and pulled it in the garage. 10 mins later i went out to start it, and it turned but wouldnt ignite. did it twice. the third time i just held it and it slooowly started.. anything?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Veteran

Garage
not sure, but these things ain't diesels... They can idle, but not for extended periods of time, and anything near ten minutes is boardering the extended period of time in most mechanics books...

In the old Iron block engine days where everything from the block to the valves were iron, it was good to warm them up, but now with everything being aluminum, just turning them on and idling for a warm up is potentially a problem... 3-5 minutes is all it takes for the Heater to start working in these cars, and about 2 minutes is all it takes for the thing to warm up to an efficient operating temp...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Forum God

as everyone else said, i'd imagine its fine. careful if its too cold. my front window cracked that way
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

intersting thanks for the input

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
i don't see why it's a problem to have them runing for 10 minutes at idle. I let mine run every morning in the cold weather and when i hop in the heat is coming out strong. think about this, the GM cars and trucks that have remote start all run for up to ten minutes before they shut themselves off. that means that GM see's no problem with a car running for 10 minutes at idle.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

also, if it's really cold out like it gets here in MN, it is a very bad idea to just hop in and go without letting it warm up for at least a couple minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode