GM Service Hahaha - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

GM Service Hahaha

*Long Read*

Hey all, I got a Cobalt in Dec of 09, so I am a new Owner, but have driven/riding in a few. Which is why I got me one. Unfortunately I have had nothing but problems with it, and the warranty service from the Service Advisor to the end result. Sorry for the long read, but I just wanted to share my whole story with you guys to see if I should give a new Cobalt and get your opinions. ( This is not flame, I really liked my Coby until it fell apart. I barely put 1300 miles on it, never mind 200 miles on my new clutch which releases at a random spot in the stroke.)

Original requested inspections at first service appointment. ( not all were placed on my workorder Problem #1)

1. Customer states check noise from r.f suspension
2. Customer states check noise in steering rattle noise
3. Customer states check clutch when cold it seems like there is no clutch and it grinds into 3rd and forth. (Actual requests: 1. The clutch does not slip on a cold start and run. 2. There is resistance in 1st-4th gears, and it grinds on occasion while up or down shifting into 3rd, 4th. 3. It seems as if there is a fluid pressure problem with my tranny, I think is getting to hot.)
4. Customer states when in 5th it seems there is a exhaust rattle (Actual request: When shifting from 4th, to 5th, @ 2-2.5k rpm, there is a exhaust rattle.

I got a 08 sedan 2.2 w/ 5spd on Dec 5th. w/ 27k miles. I noticed a occasional grind into 3rd or 4th, esp from a cold start or min warm up time. I also was concerned in the fluctuation of the clutch release point.

So I setup up an appointment @ Pine Belt Chevy in Lakewood NJ, against my better judgment. (Two incidents with there service like 5-7 years ago.) They told me the noise was the lower control arm bushing, which was not even seated anymore. I asked to look under the car, which was 2 weeks old at the time which is how I know that.

So they replaced both lower control arms and the linking rods, then called me and said the car needs a clutch, and GM will not cover it. I said WTF??? ^^ It did not need one when I dropped it off. So I called the dealership, they said will do it for parts cost. I said holla, and picked up my car to bring it to service. Well besides my clutch, or lack there of, the "Mechanic" who replaced my linkage was elementary in skills. Major alignment issues, if I turn right, I have to manually return the wheel to center, still hearing rattling from the steering, which I pointed out prior to service.

Any how it was clear that my car was not test driven, or was by another elementary employee, and was unsafe to drive. As my clutch was being replaced at the purchasing dealership, GM customer service sent a GM mechanic to inspect my transmission. He showed up, inspected the clutch, said I needed a new one and GM won't cover it.

At this point I am ready to purchase a learn to speak English kit from Rosetta Stone, because I must be speaking a foreign language.

Then my dealership called said come get her she is all done, finally something positive, after 8 days and 3 different loaners, it was pleasing to get the vehicle I am paying for back.

I head there right after work, stop at service, and BS with the service managers about all my troubles so far, and how I feel as if I am speaking Icelandic to a Pollock.

New Clutch: $425
Hours lost at work: $70
Putting the key in the ignition and finding a frozen tumbler:$0 Warranty
Dents from pushing my car:$0 Free with service
Rattle in dash from service:$ Free with service
Driver side view mirror pushed off center:$0 Free with service

Now after all this, Cobalt leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know 3-4 people with Cobalts and they all love them. One guy totaled one, and replaced it with an identical one. There's all seem pretty nice, but they don't have the 5sp. I think there is a design flaw in the 4 door 2.2 manual trans, which makes it a weak link in the power train. I don't know for sure but I am guessing it can not handle the extra weight, let alone any abuse. Also I drive like Aunt Sally, I got it up to 6 grand once on accident (ice). I don't ride the clutch, I don't hold it down at idle, I don't over rev and launch. I am not looking to go fast, I am a smooth shifting cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
seems to me that your used car was trashed by someone how didnt know how to drive a stick. sorry man about all that. i had to put a new trans in after my clutch second grear litterly cracked in half, on my 06 base, had 60k miles

2006 Cobalt LS-traded in
used 2008 Cobalt SS/TCFOR SALEhttps://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/car...tml#post819842
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular

Sucks to hear bro. I just got mine back from the dealer a few hours ago...had them replace the interior handles, a headlight assembly and battery vent tube. They threw in some scratches just for shits and giggles. What can you expect when they have highschool aged kids working there. Other than that it wasn't a bad experience...better than dealing with dodge i'll tell ya that.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBalt View Post
seems to me that your used car was trashed by someone how didnt know how to drive a stick. sorry man about all that.
x2
thats what i would think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
:bangs****ingheadagainstthewall: :throwshandsupindisgust: i give up...lol
this is when mike decided to give up his balt ^^

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Cobalt_Universe/index/
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzBlueBish View Post
What can you expect when they have highschool aged kids working there.
hey im affended by that, tho im not highschool aged. people piss me off when they think i dont know what im doing. i try and do everything perfect, i hate makeing mistakes. yea theres people out there that work on cars that shouldnt and dont care about customers cars. thats why im trying to get out of it and just keep it a hobby

2006 Cobalt LS-traded in
used 2008 Cobalt SS/TCFOR SALEhttps://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/car...tml#post819842
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

What really sucks is the fact that had this not happened, I would be uploading pics of a murdered out 4 door.

Here is the thing, it seems as if GM "Is going to attempt to appease me". Well I demanded a refund, or a brand new vehicle.

Just to share with you guys this little tid bit of information called The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Basically in short, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a Federal Law that protects the buyer of any product which costs more than $25 and comes with an express written warranty. This law applies to any product that you buy that does not perform as it should. After two possibly 3 attempts to correct the flaw (I got two guys both said clutch didn't fix it) you qualify for protection under this act. (It is a federal law)

There is a good description of a practical use of the Act here you have to scroll to just about the bottom of the page.

New Jersey Lemon Law Statutes: Title 56:12-29 - 56:12-49

So even if it was beat on, it was not clearly evident at the time of purchase. I had been having no issues with the trans, other then the occasional grind into 3rd-4th until we got snow.

P.S. EuroBalt
There are places for people like us, I love the shop I work at now. I work on everything, Porsche, 1992 turds etc. but always do the same quality job, and my boss appreciates that. If you work for people who don't care that reflects in the employees, and everyone makes mistakes. Just the other day a dinged a civic si, lost traction on ice, and hit the parts cart at maybe 3-4 mph. I pumped and feathered the brakes, but that car is so light that if the golf cart was not there, I would have slid further and possibly into a concrete wall, needs less to say it was end of the day, I was moving it, and it was gonna get shot first thing in the morning. It happens.

These guys however just don't care, or understand what is going on.

Last edited by Adamseye; 02-12-2010 at 06:27 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
nice find. i had gone to 3 dealers about my rear brakes after i bought this used SS, thing is all of them wouldnt addmit to a issue with it, tho many people told me they go bad in 5k or less. this doesnt work out here tho.

2006 Cobalt LS-traded in
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I would push for a new Cobalt. I seriously think someone tore that one up. It could have been someone's first car who was just learning to drive. Yeah, some parents are that dumb. Use the lemon law and get another cobalt.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Quote:
and how I feel as if I am speaking Icelandic to a Pollock.
lol its Polak

Good luck with the Balt, I say get a new one since this on seems trashed.. And your dealership BLOWS.

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

Magnuson-moss act is good ammo to have. I've never used it in the lemon law sense but i've used it for mods vs voided warranties issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode