Wrecked My Cobalt.... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Wrecked My Cobalt....

Not off to a good start, today when I was going to work at 5am and about 7 minutes away this guy in a green mercury cuts me off, hits the passenger side of my car and I lost control for 3 seconds and scraped along a guardrail. The guy didnt even slow down. I hit onstar and ny state trooper showed up and said there isnt anything he can do since I dont have a partial plate number and now I'm up shit creek.
So does anyone know what body parts will come off of other cobalts/g5's so I can avoid having yet another claim on my insurance?

Last edited by ChuckB; 08-03-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
The front fender and door comes off, but you don't need it to be removed to be repaired at a bodyshop. The rear fender will not be "removeable".

The damage looks like it will be in and around the viscinity of 400$ or so. At least that's all the parts in the picture. But correct me if I'm wrong but from the picture it looks like the impact was on the driver side, is there more damage on the passenger side?

Also the damage doesn't look too bad, it's and easy fix, but I know how you feel. YOu should go to your nearest police station and report a hit and run and give a description of the vehicle. Did you recognize the make and model?

The other driver sounds drunk.....

MODS: GMPP "Performance" cat-back, GMPP intake, GMPP extrude honed header, GMPP ground effects kit, lip spoiler, gen 4 headlights, DC sport strut tower brace, splitter, vortex generators, motegi SP10, Iridium spark plugs, ractive aluminum pedals, white carbon shift knob, shorty antenna, 4300K HID low beams (screw electricals warranty)

by gCobalt05

Last edited by loco_stevie; 08-03-2010 at 05:52 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
shit son, but what do you mean "Partial Plate Number"?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

that quarter damage is your real issue. if the cops won't help you out, i'd just claim it under your own policy, most insurance companies aren't too harsh if you have a solid story. i've gotten away with some pretty bad accidents with no rate increase. i can see about 4-5k in damages here. i can't see it being a total loss. looks like the front left wheel was hit, any vibrations while driving? alignment out? if you do mention this to your insurance, be careful with your words and try to steer away from the fact that you've been hit, just get your options on the table and if you see a good route then start spilling info.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

ok well I appreciate all the assessments.
I didnt get a plate number but I gave the description of the driver and the car to the state trooper and he wrote the accident report.
Cop says theres nothing he can do without some of a plate number so I'm ****ed there.
What happened was is he cut me off to get around me and theres nothing except a slight scuff on my bumper where his car clipped mine, good news is I just need a new tire because the brakes locked and chewed the drivers side tire up pretty bad going over the friction strip.
Either way the only people on the road that early in the morning are people going to work so my plan is leave earlier and drive a bit slower to see if I can spot him since it's a very recognizable green mercury. if thats the case I'll get his plate number then and see if theres anything the police can do, if not, I'll just put a brick through his windows (j/k, or maybe not).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
That's shitty - the quarter will be the hardest part of the fix.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5blackout View Post
shit son, but what do you mean "Partial Plate Number"?
By that it means some of the numbers/letters. Law enforcement can narrow down the search if they even have a partial plate number. It really works if you have a description of the driver also as that can also narrow it down. SOME of the stuff on TV is actually based on real world procedures.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Ah man that blows, good luck catching the guy on his commute and repairing it.

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Newcomer

Garage
id just claim it and get it fixed. that's what insurance is for.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

yeah I'm going to do file my claim and repair it myself ( my ex was an auto body tech and I picked up a few things over 2 years) I figure I can take the money and do something more useful with it. also its considered a no fault so it wont adversely affect me come renewal time so I think it's the best course of action but god help that guy if I ever get a positive ID to him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode