Powersteering Crash, Now What? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
Powersteering Crash, Now What?

so yeah my bro(who knows nothing about cars) was coming hom from work tonight in the familys cobalt (I just got in) and he was coming around a 90Deg corner when he said "all of the sudden the steering wheel went stiff I couldn't move it" and he was shaking and all worked up he didnt know what happend.. lol he thought a stick was jammed in the wheel

So yeah he smashed a curb with the front wheel sideways and the whole assembly on the pass-side frnt is all busted, the wheel had the craziest camber you'd ever seen.

so anyhow the ******* off a towtruck driver took it to the stealership now. he was like "haha another piece of shit cobalt off the road" I wanted to kill him.

Question is, should we harass GM to pay for the damage? afterall it was a powersteering malfunction that THEY KNEW ABOUT, I think they should, hell if it was a busy intersection it could have been a lot worse right?

What do you guys think?

EDIT********************************************
I just got off the phone with my dad and he said the ps letter was for our malibu, NOT THE COBALT, so we didnt recieve a letter about it

Last edited by StevoElsupremo; 08-15-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Yay go me
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

well im sure he got a recall in the mail and he should have went out and got it fixed

My sig thanks to Gcobalt
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Contributor

Garage
I just got mine and its going in on Wednesday. But glad everyone is ok! Thats truly all that matters.

LIVE LOVE BURN DIE

My Sig thanks PADLOCK
No one knows what is going on! Its just a simple answer with a complex conclusion
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
What? no? he has a date for when he's supposed to bring it into the dealership, I tried to just waltz on in to with my car after getting a letter to get it fixed ahead of time to before my date and they sent me back.

yeah everyones ok thats good I know, but moneys tight and this doesnt look cheap BY ANY MEANS to fix.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
I would def get on the dealer about it and ask them who to appeal to in order to get GM to fix it.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Steering wheel shouldn't have gone stiff - it just turns into manual steering mode - which, when you're moving, doesn't really affect it. Unless it locked the wheels. It's possible the FWD-ness just understeered.

Regardless, if it was 100% a PS problem, tell the dealer to fix that shit.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
again I know how to drive without P/S, but my bro never experienced that before and he was makign a left through an intersection and he said "the steering went numb" sounds like P/S to me.

So were waiting for a call from the dealer, the **** head Tow jockey dropped it off there, I was not in the mood to go with him.

But like I said my dads been selling cars there forever and they wont **** him around.

well the dealer called my dad and said it would be a 3.5-4thousand dollar repair!!!! and hes callin GM Legal about it, so we'll see, my brother has such a bad bruise on his head from smacking his head off the steering wheel, thank god it was a quiet intersection :S .

Last edited by StevoElsupremo; 08-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Contributor

Check here to see if your cobalt qualified for the recall:

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/rec...l-10023-a.html

It may explain whether or not you should've you got the letter or not.

Mods:
Engine- K&N SRI Intake, NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, Corsa Touring Cat-Back Exhaust
Suspension- FE5 SS/TC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, Koni Yellow Sport Shocks/Struts, DC Sports Strut Tower Brace
Brakes- PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Wheels- 17" Tenzo RS5 Rims (Gunmetal), BFGoodrich G-Force Sport 225/45/17 tires
Exterior- Removed Side Moldings
Interior- Pioneer FH-P800BT, Pioneer 3-Way 6x9 Speakers, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim Kit

Future: 2.4L Intake Manifold, Bad-Mab Header, ZZP 2.5" Downpipe, Trifecta Tune, Eibach Sway Bar Kit, Russel SS Brake Lines
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
well no codes came up, were ****ed, o well when ur already in debt theres not much moree to loose is there

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Insurance...?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode