Tips Needed for Up Coming Drag Race! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Talking Tips Needed for Up Coming Drag Race!

So everyone ill be taking part in my very first drag race.event next Friday and I would like some ideas. This will be bracket racing with two time trail runs to pick your time. I have never raced at the strip so any advice would be lovely.

Info on the car.
2008 XFE
injen Cai, 2.4 mani, short tube header, highflow cat dp from zzp, custom 2.5 in cat back into a gmpp muffler, and course a trifecta tune. O and springs from a ss sc
Tires are 205/60/15 Goodyear America eagle h2 with good tread

Any guesses on what rpm to launch?(i get crazy wheel hop from 2k and below.) Was thinking launch around 2-2.5 with alittle clutch work instead of.just dumping the clutch.

Any guess on the time? I'm hoping for 15.7-15.3.

I will have this filmed by a buddy in the.crowd. camcorder is really good so should turn out nice. I'll have the link to the YouTube up the day afterwards.

2008 cobalt LS Rally Yellow XFE with GM ground effects

Mods: SS Front bumper, Blacked out tails, Painted interior, Blacked out headlights, Soon to be Stage 2 ZZP Supercharged running 12psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Forum Regular

Track is a lot stickier than the street, what you launch at on the street is not the same you would launch at on the track, if you can get a chance to do a practice run or two at the track before the race would be best, first run launch off idle(tap the gas like a easy take off on the street and then floor it after its moving) just so you know you won't have any wheel spin then launch at 2.5k rpm and see how the car feels. My second pass ever on track(in the cobalt that is) I managed a 2.3 60ft with the stock 195/65 r15 tires and a K&N intake. Launched it off idle first then a slightly harder launch which felt perfect for the car. You probably want a little spin on launch just to get the rpms in the power range for when it hooks, but not a lot of spin. The rest is just driver.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Don't mind me asking what did you run

Mods: SS Front bumper, Blacked out tails, Painted interior, Blacked out headlights, Soon to be Stage 2 ZZP Supercharged running 12psi.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Forum Regular

16.5 it was in the 90's out and car was at full weight i.e almost full tank of gas, random junk/tools in car and everything else that came with car including spare tire.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
It will be around 80/85 out, and taking out the spare, jack, my stereo system. Maybe the back seat

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Was thinking of adding a couple of.stickers for Ummm...about 397WHP... lol

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Was thinking of adding a couple of.stickers for Ummm...about 397WHP... lol

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Contributor

Drag racing is really something that can't be taught. You have to use your "sixth sense" in alot of areas. Common sense & a little courage don't hurt either.......
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, it's all about knowing your car, knowing the track and how to compensate for changes.

I ran a 16.3 stock, so I'd say you should be in the mid 15s.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Forum God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Yeah, it's all about knowing your car, knowing the track and how to compensate for changes.

I ran a 16.3 stock, so I'd say you should be in the mid 15s.
16.3 stock? lucky you. you probably have some great temperature and elevation. stock i ran early 18s at 3740ft and at 90 degrees :/

R.I.P. :(

Hello
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dr-LS View Post
16.3 stock? lucky you. you probably have some great temperature and elevation. stock i ran early 18s at 3740ft and at 90 degrees :/
Ouch - well, it was in Michigan, which is flat. But it was probably mid 80s.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Forum God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Ouch - well, it was in Michigan, which is flat. But it was probably mid 80s.
ur still lucky lol

R.I.P. :(

Hello
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode