Speedometer Not Working - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Speedometer Not Working

Hi, Newbie here
I just purchased a 2007 Cobalt basic model 4 door and the speedometer is not working and the car shifts real hard (automatic) in between gears and sometimes wants to stall when at a stop light so am assuming it has to do with the speedo not telling the computer what to do. When starting the car a message about the power steering displays until you press the info button to get back to the odometer. The check engine light is also on. otherwise the car performs just fine. Anybody have a clue what is going on here as I have not had a chance to take it to the dealer yet? I also understand that there is a recall for the power steering which also has not been done yet?
Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Welcome to the forum... You bought it doing all that? The power steering is a recall item. You need to take it to a dealer to get fixed for free.

The recall is "SAFETY RECALL NUMBER 10023"

In the mean time with these many problems I would suggest you unhook the battery for 15 - 30 minutes to reset it all, and she if she acts a little better.

If that does not help take it to Autozone or another autoparts store and get the code read. Write it down and post it on here for us to see...

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Take it to the dealer ASAP, power steering unit is probably trashed (they are under recall). Could also be a speedo sensor, and since many sensors are tied to many other sytems, that could be it also.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

According to the seller it has a 400 code stored
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
You prolly do not want to just trust the seller. I would unhook the battery for awhile and allow it to reset, plug it back in and see if it comes on again, and if your speedo still does not work.

We have had several instances where unhooking the car for a few minutes has fixed issues.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

OK, did that and no change, exactly same symptoms as before
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Forum Regular

You better have gotten that thing dirt cheap with all of those problems.

How mechanically inclined are you? Have you fixed alot of car things on your own before?

"If you know more than me about how to do my job please sit right down at the keyboard and handle the problem.

However if you can't do that, sit down, shut up, and get out of my way."

I wonder if my boss would get mad if I started explaining that to my clients.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon300zx View Post
You better have gotten that thing dirt cheap with all of those problems.

How mechanically inclined are you? Have you fixed alot of car things on your own before?
Yes I got it dirt cheap I think $4000 for a 2007 with 38,000 miles and the car also has a $1000 (or more) set of wheels and Maxxis tires. Yes I am mechanically inclined, just trying to find out what to do next, taking it to Autozone this am to have the obd checked and then over to Chevrolet to have the power steering recall done.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Forum Regular

Good, Had to ask as sometimes I have seen people asking these questions on here who do not seem capable of turning on their tv on their own....

Did the warranty transfer? (I bought mine with 103K on it so I'm not sure on the warranty details, 06 with 103k paid $3k for it, it needed new tires and a throttle body).

First get the recall done right away.

The stall at stop light could also be a dirty MAF or Throttle Body.
Get the ODB codes checked, the hard shifting would worry me as it's putting extra stress on the transmission as long as there isn't already something wrong with the tranny.

Do you have the Hayne's or Chilton for it yet? I highly recommend having both, I often find things in one but not the other.

"If you know more than me about how to do my job please sit right down at the keyboard and handle the problem.

However if you can't do that, sit down, shut up, and get out of my way."

I wonder if my boss would get mad if I started explaining that to my clients.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I took the car to Autozone and they scanned it and said it had two codes stored a PO700 (automatic trans fault, TCM & TCM has detected an emission related fault) and a dealer only code of UO0100 (could be a VO0100?) and they could not tell me what that one was and suggested it go to the dealer which is where it is at present. So much for the 400 code the seller said it had!

Last edited by Genestoy; 10-15-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode