Weight Reduction - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to ecopowa Send a message via Yahoo to ecopowa
Weight Reduction

Hey guys i'm a big fan of weight reduction in cars. It's really a great way to make your car go faster. I've taken out my back seats and trunk floor and side carpet, and just any extra junk i dont need. I was wondering out of all the guys out there who are gutting their cobalts, what is the lightest cobalt ls or ss that there is record of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
i don't think this is something many people do unless they race their cars. keep in mind that a typical weight to hp ratio is 100lbs gives you around 10hp give or take. you MIGHT be able to snag 50-75 pounds or so if you gut the whole interior out to just the driver seat

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

wellllllllllllllllll i happen to race my friends and the occasional doosh bag. I remember i raced my friend with an integra. lost. went and took all loose items out. my donut, jack, back seat, and trunk carpet. then we raced again the next day and i beat him by quite a bit. Why anyone would mod out their engine to go fast unless they want to go fast or race?? haha I think the main reason people don't do any weight reduction is because they have no idea how helpful it is for acceleration.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Garage
people know that it helps, that's a no brainer. it's the convenience factor that nobody does it. you never know what's going to happen on the road. where if you blow your tire, you're kinda ****ed. and also, lets say a couple friends wanna hang out but you're the only one with gas in your car, you're driving. but oh hey, no back seats, sorry guys. and people mod their engines because they want to learn about their car and make it better than stock. technically taking out parts of your car does not add horsepower, it just makes it lighter so the engine isn't stressing as much to get to a higher RPM. everyone knows what it does, but building your engine to go faster is a lot more respectable than taking out the back seats and your spare tire kit. just sayin.

Last edited by BankerBalt; 05-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:27 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
The back seat is almost all foam anyway, so no real weight loss there. The only real weight loss is removing the spare and jack, and not having a huge stereo, speaker boxes alone add at least 50-100 pounds empty.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

yes, but then there's plywood (or something hard) to make it hard on the trunk back, and the black stick that it pivots on weighs quite a bit for just a metal stick.

Quote:
building your engine to go faster is a lot more respectable than taking out the back seats and your spare tire kit. just sayin.
now you got a point there ;)
.... but watching someone throw 800 dollars into their engine, only for you to take out ur seats and still beat them = priceless :P
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Garage
as long as you're not boosted, with no extra mods, i would beat you. just sayin.

not trying to get my internet ego up here, but i have quite a bit of money into my car (imo) and i know for a fact i could beat a stock motor with just a little weight reduction. you MIGHT get me off the line, but i would catch up really fast.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:35 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBalt View Post
people know that it helps, that's a no brainer. it's the convenience factor that nobody does it. you never know what's going to happen on the road. where if you blow your tire, you're kinda ****ed. and also, lets say a couple friends wanna hang out but you're the only one with gas in your car, you're driving. but oh hey, no back seats, sorry guys. and people mod their engines because they want to learn about their car and make it better than stock. technically taking out parts of your car does not add horsepower, it just makes it lighter so the engine isn't stressing as much to get to a higher RPM. everyone knows what it does, but building your engine to go faster is a lot more respectable than taking out the back seats and your spare tire kit. just sayin.
Exactly, that is why is did not buy another GM car when I got our new vehicle. I really like the comfort of having a spare as opposed to the flat tire(plug) repair kit and bottle of slime in the trunk. A plug kit just does nothing when the sidewall completely blows out.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecopowa View Post
yes, but then there's plywood (or something hard) to make it hard on the trunk back, and the black stick that it pivots on weighs quite a bit for just a metal stick.

now you got a point there ;)
.... but watching someone throw 800 dollars into their engine, only for you to take out ur seats and still beat them = priceless :P
Strip out you WHOLE interior, dash too, take your hood and doors off. bet I still come out ontop haha.

If I did not use my cobalt often and wanted it to look ugly on the inside I would do it but there is no point. I like having my interior all there, if I was to to race it legally and only use it for that purpose I would strip it than.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Garage
oh and my parts list is definitely more than 800 bucks lol. i'll part it out for you

k&n sri - 219
2.4 intake manifold + throttle body - 75
bad mab header - 190
zzp 2.5 catted dp - 215
tsudo exhaust - 250
trifecta tuned - 225
engine mount - 190
tranny mounts - 55
delco spark plugs - 10
fe5 suspension - 290
sway bar - 75
springs - 130
knowing i've kicked a 1.8t and a mustang gt to the curb - priceless
i've added 60WHP over stock for 1700 bucks minus tax and shipping for everything either.

there's a couple other things i have also, but they don't pertain to engine performance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode