Gas Tank Sloshing - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Gas Tank Sloshing

I'm having a real go around with GM over this .. and wanted to know if any of you have experienced it .

I don't know if it pertains to the earlier Cobalts but mine is a 2010 with 8000 Km ( 4800 Mi) on it and from day one when the tank is full and I tap the brakes at very low speeds either in forward or reverse I hear a very audable what soulds like a klunk/slosh noise. Comes only from the drivers side rear. Also it is louder when the tank is full and diminishes as the tank empties.

At first the dealer said it was suspension bushings because it was cold out. Then said it was the battery hold down wasn't tight. Neither solved it.

Next they changed the gas tank and that didn't do a thing. Extra weight in the trunk has no bearing on it so to me that eliminates the suspension. BTW I filled the tank to the point it was running over which should eliminate any slosh and it didn't change a thing.

The dealer then called GM engineering and they said they have heard of this 3 or 4 times times and it was "normal". Normal my a$$ ... even my 98 Cavalier didn't do this. How many thousands of these did they sell and only 3 or 4 complaints makes it normal?

Right now I have been in touch with Customer Assistance and they will be contacting the dealer.

my question to you all is ... do you have this happening and what year is your car and how many miles on it? The reason I ask this is I'd like to have a little ammunition before I get to the next step.

The tank was changed and the dealer says there is no baffles in them. By any chnace could it be part of the fuel pump assembly banging around?

Last edited by Jesstzn; 05-25-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to ecopowa Send a message via Yahoo to ecopowa
this has got troll written all over it...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecopowa View Post
this has got troll written all over it...
Meaning??
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Contributor

Hi Jess,

I have a 2010 XFE and have the audible sloshing sound you described when the tank is full. It seems to me that the tanks are missing a baffle that would keep the gas from sloshing so much. I don't know that though.

I'm not too concerned by it and in fact I don't hear it anymore.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Forum Regular

Mine clunks every now and again, it's the rear bushings, it's nothing serious. Cobalts are only econoboxes, what do you expect, you get what you pay for....
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite View Post
Mine clunks every now and again, it's the rear bushings, it's nothing serious. Cobalts are only econoboxes, what do you expect, you get what you pay for....
Its confirmed its not the bushings .. I know its an econo box and I didn't pay for noises ..... nor were they listed in the options. Rattles and creaks are common in these cars and accepted because thay are american econo boxes. I just gave my son a 1998 Cavalier with 38,000 miles on it and it never had an issue like this.

I could have spent about the same money for a Toyota and got a hell of a lot better car but I wanted to buy local and all the local dealers are domestic.

I bought this as a winter second car and I learned a long time ago if you want quality you don't buy a Chev. I bought new Chevs every 2 years from 1983 and in 2001 I moved to Toyota then VW and now Acura.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Newcomer

You can hear the gas sloshing around in my 2007...not a big deal to me
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
Its confirmed its not the bushings .. I know its an econo box and I didn't pay for noises ..... nor were they listed in the options. Rattles and creaks are common in these cars and accepted because thay are american econo boxes. I just gave my son a 1998 Cavalier with 38,000 miles on it and it never had an issue like this.

I could have spent about the same money for a Toyota and got a hell of a lot better car but I wanted to buy local and all the local dealers are domestic.

I bought this as a winter second car and I learned a long time ago if you want quality you don't buy a Chev. I bought new Chevs every 2 years from 1983 and in 2001 I moved to Toyota then VW and now Acura.
i hate to ask, but then why did you buy another chevy? most other cars get just as good gas mileage as them. and if you drive them right, even better than cobalts. these cars have a lot of noises on them, that shouldn't necessarily be your MAIN concern being a 2010. how's the gas mileage? the get up and go? braking? there's a lot of factors that come into what the problem actually is. if you really have a personal problem with the car, why not bring it back to the dealer and trade up for a different car? not trying to be rude, but you, as the consumer should know exactly what you want.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwik1320 View Post
You can hear the gas sloshing around in my 2007...not a big deal to me
Does it slosh to the point that it actually makes a thumping noise? Does it only do it full or close to full?

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBalt View Post
i hate to ask, but then why did you buy another chevy? most other cars get just as good gas mileage as them. and if you drive them right, even better than cobalts. these cars have a lot of noises on them, that shouldn't necessarily be your MAIN concern being a 2010. how's the gas mileage? the get up and go? braking? there's a lot of factors that come into what the problem actually is. if you really have a personal problem with the car, why not bring it back to the dealer and trade up for a different car? not trying to be rude, but you, as the consumer should know exactly what you want.

As posted before I bought it because it was a local dealer ... all the imports are out of town. I'm not concerned with milage but it is over 40 MPG .. no bitch there.

And why should I have to trade up? Up for what? Someting I don't need? When I test drove the car it had no mentioned noise because they only have a 1/4 tank of fuel in them. It was after I filled it that I noticed it. If it would have been full when I tried it I wouldn't have bought it.

There is no other factors .. and no personal problem... I as a consumer DID know what I wanted .. I wanted a second car that was new with a warranty. I bought the Cobalt because its a f**king Cavalier and we had one that did exactly what it was supposed to do. Without this issue.

This isn't just a slosh it also clunks & bangs like a rock rolling around in the trunk.

The purpose of my post was to see of others with 2010s were experiencing this .. not to justify why I bought it .

I'm not car stupid I have had and built everything from dirt race cars, american muscle and imports.

Current ride .. 06 TL, dropped, 19s, CAI, exhaustetc etc etc

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
whoa... as i said, not trying to start an argument here... i was just giving my HUMBLE opinion. but with these cars, don't worry about minor noises, even after upgrading the COMPLETE suspension, i still have ridiculously dumb noises in it. that comes with the manufacturer

but that is a sexy acura

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode