How's Cobalt's Mechanical Reliability in the Long Run? Need Your Reference Plz! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Question How's Cobalt's Mechanical Reliability in the Long Run? Need Your Reference Plz!

Hey, guys. I'm getting a car pretty soon. Now, I've lock on the certified used Cobalt and Golf around07'-08'. Never get involved with any Chevy or Ford before. What I need to know is, how's Cobalt's mechanical reliability? I realize that car is car, they all might get random "sick" at any time.

But at least:
1), Is it easy & affordable to repair & do maintenance? Does it have a simply structure which's easily reparable?
2), If I keep doing maintenance well, are the engine & chassis strong enough to keep the car alive for decades and hundreds thousand kms just like those Volkswagens do?

There's a extra warranty --GMPP. According to the dealer's offer, $2,700 for 4 more years or 120k-kms, $3,100 for 140k-kms. It's affordable for me, but I still wanna know the chance. How much chance the repair cost may go over 3-grand in 4 years? It's a unlikely(<20%), possible(50%) or a probably(>80%)?

For Golf. From where I'm come from, the VWs are everywhere. I still have a old model Passat in my hometown. I know it fine. But for Cobalt, except I pretty like its looking and I know it has quite good fuel economy. Nothing else about the mechanical part...

Quite a few of my friends keep telling me that American cars're crappy inside. If I bought a used Chev or Ford without warrenty, I'm gonna spend triple money to fix the mechanical breakdown around next 5 years. Even more, no matter how good I maintain it daily, they would be totally dead less than 10 years anyway. And most of all, They are the most frequent car that gonna drop me at the half of the way... Are these true? Or just some gossip from some stubborn fans of the other brands? I mean why you guys keep buying local cars, although you already know they're unreliable and expensive to mantain as well? Just becoz they're a bit cheaper when they're in sale? Or you just wanna help your GM and Ford live? That's what I don't understand. It doesn't make sense.

To be brief, in my mind, the local brand generally should have big advantages. There never gonna be a better place for me to try a chev or ford. But I don't want a new taste adventure cost me too much time and loss.

Thanks a lot for your patience and apologize for my crappy english grammar(it might be hard to understand)~~ Just hope you can get what I'm trying to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
I am just starting to learn more about cars and the like, but I feel that every time I need to get something done with my car it turns into something bigger then it has to be because of the make of the vehicle.
However, I don't really have any problems with the car and it's reliable so far. I've had it two years now and it's a 2007.
I would recommend getting one, it's a decent car that is clearly a car to have fun with. These forums are an example with that...you can mod it out however you want! There are a bunch of different car brands that are good, of course some better then others, but everyone prefers something different and that's what it comes down to. Preference. But if these American made cars were so crappy made, would all of these people drive them? Ford and Chevy are both huge companys and despite the reputation GM holds, they are still decent cars. They get you from A to B and as I said, I have never had a problem. The people on these forums are here because they love their cars and love to have fun with the car. Which is why the Cobalt is a good car for you if you like to have a car you can customize to your liking. There are a lot of different things you can do with it.
American made cars aren't bad cars at all, I haven't experienced anything traumatic with my cobalt and all of the people I know with fords and chevy's are content with their vehicle.

Last edited by geesusftw; 06-14-2011 at 09:35 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I've never owned anything other than chevy cars. 2 cavaliers and now my cobalt. Both cavaliers were approaching the 200000 mile mark before they started having problems. They were reliable and as long as you do your own work the parts are cheap. I would definetly recomend going with a chevy.

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Hahaha, thank you at first~~~ And no, I don't really believe what I heard about how sure the chevy & ford are crap neither. As I said, people wouldn't keep doing some thing a million times without a sense. There gotta be some good things for these American made ones. It's just I didn't know anything about them before, except some no explanation gossip from one person to another. Glad to hear about some real reviews from you guys.

At least, now I know that the Cobalt shouldn't have a too complex structure for repair or maintenance. Otherwise you shouldn't be so much enjoying to DIY it or do your own work with cheap parts. =D

So, another thing-- the GMPP isn't the only way to avoid unexpected high amount bill for repair. It's just for those people who don't wanna spend spare time on their cars. And I even can do most of the repair & maintenance stuff if I'm willing to learn. Am I right? Sounds pretty fun~~~
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:10 AM
Newcomer

Garage
Cobalts are easy to work on, everything is really easy to get to and really not complicated, the GMPP is really for folks who have a warranty and don't want to void it with aftermarket parts and it's good stuff if you don't mind putting down the extra cash.

My Cobalt has about 90k on it and it's done pretty well, nothing major has really cost me.

Stock 2006 LT2 Silver Sedan - It's a work in progress...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
they seem to be hit and miss with reliability. some have had no problems, some have nothing but problems. but they are extremely easy to work on, and for the price IMO they are a good car.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

"...EASY TO WORK ON..." that's exactly the character what I'm looking for~~~ I trust Golf but I've seen VWs too much in my life. I get bored... looks I would have a lot to learn about the Cobalt & Chevy & American Made, but may have a lot of fun as well =D Thank you all!!!

Seems the only thing left for me to think about, is whether I should get the GMPP~~ That Cobalt I've lock on is a 08' LT Coupe, nearly hit on 19,000miles. The price of the GMPP which the dealer offers are like $1,800(2yrs/62,500mi), $2,300(3yrs/,75,000mi), $3,100(4yrs/,87,500mi), etc. $100-deductible/per visit. Not a B2B warranty, but generally covered the whole car. Do they sound like reasonable deal if I'm willing to get kinda extra warranty? I probably won't get it. The car even still have a powertrain warranty by 2013/100,000mi. Just curious about it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Forum Regular

If you can try to find one that still under warranty. I just bought a 2010 cobalt LT sedan. Had 33 thousand miles already but still in great shape (got a killer deal because it has some hail dents, and because of the mileage) Overall I love the car, had to get new tires because the stock tires blow, but other than that its been ok. I still have some of the factory bumper to bumper warranty left and have used it 3 times but all fairly minor stuff. Overall the car is great though. And most of the work I have found can be done by yourself with very little hassel. (if your wondering about the warranty stuff heres the list,

1: Roof ditch molding was leaking got new ditch molding and dealer re-sealed the welded area
2: drivers rear power window motor shorted dealer replaced
3: ac switch went out (and it was 98 degrees that day) dealer ordered new one and installed

As you can see all little stuff but the warranty made it worth it. As for mechanical reliability not problems as of yet and the car had 34 thousand miles on it so im happy.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Newcomer

Garage
Mine doesn't have a warranty, never did, but I've never heard of the GMPP being offered as a warranty, I just thought those were parts you got from the dealer like an intake, exhaust, and injectors - but if you like to work on cars yourself a warranty is really not the best route because if you do some work yourself you can void that warranty then you've paid all this money and will do you no good

Stock 2006 LT2 Silver Sedan - It's a work in progress...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Newcomer

Bought my cobalt in May 2005. Very reliable. Over 213,000 miles on her now and just regular maintenance, plus the normal wear and tear expenses (struts, control arm bushings, tires). Still getting 33 mpg. Very happy with it and I have been doing my own oil and filter changes.

2005 Cobalt LS Sedan, blue granite
2012 Honda Civic EX-L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode