Oil Change Interval V.s Mileage - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Oil Change Interval V.s Mileage

i know this has been a long time discussion over many forums and asked different ways sorry if its a repeat, i dont drive nearly as much as i use to (maybe 8k miles a year) i use mobile 5w-30 and a factory oil filter. my main question is about my oil filter and whats it doing over time. i totally belive in the 6 month syn oil change interval or even higher mileage but as long as i can rack up the miles in 6 months. currently i did my last oil chnage dec 4th and have only driven 4500 miles im sure the oil is ok but im worried the filter may not filter be 100% up to par i may start changing the filter every 3k miles and do oil every 6k miles as long as continue to drive this little. Does the oil life monitior actually "record/keep track of" cold starts, intown driving, driving habits such as reving stop and go and long idol periods in traffic? I know a 5$ dollar filter every 6-8 months would pretty much answer my question here just wanted some of your opinions also thanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
i run synthetic but i still change my oil every 2.5-3k miles. your car will run more efficient if you change it more often. you can always pop off and check the filter, but since you have it out and it takes an extra 10 mins, why not just change the oil?

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weakyota91 View Post
... i may start changing the filter every 3k miles and do oil every 6k miles ...
I would not recommend you re-use the oil. You don't know what you can get in your oil while you change the filter and put it back in the car.
You can always go ahead and buy a premium filter and just run 3-5k miles between oil changes. I believe in changing oil every 3k miles or 6 months religiously. Changing oil too often is not beneficial either because it hurts your wallet and you'd have to get rid of the oil more often.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Forum Regular

I use to change my oil every 3K, then I started taking my car to the dealer for oil changes and they baiscly told me there is not point. (I take it to the dealer because its is cheaper then everywhere else only cost me about 35 bucks for a full synthetic oil change) I was talkin to the service tech and he said the way the motor is designed you can get 6.5K out of an oil change without problems. I even have a sticker on my door sil put there by the dealer that says 6.5K oil change interval. I asked about the filter and he said that the cartrige filter can withstand 6.5K unlike some of the screw on canister filters from other vehicles. I was sceptical but I have heard it from 3 or 4 people at the dealer so I just go with it. (I usualy only get like 4500 or 5000 on it before I change it because of the way I drive and there are a lot of hills where I live)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I run the AC Delco filter, and run about 7500 miles on Mobil 1 Synthetic. Filter still looks good too, I wouldn't run the filter much past 7.5k though.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Expert

Garage
6000 for conventional
8000 for synthetic

Changing the oil every 2-3000 is a total waste of money, and no, its not 'more effecient' cuz the oils still perfectly fine.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
I change mine every three months regardless of miles. (never get to 3000 in 3 mo.) It may be overkill, but i dont care. Besides, it give me a chance to get under and look at things.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Yeah, that's a complete waste of money. Conventional I'd change at about 5k.

Trust me, you'll know if somethings wrong.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
all i know is my car is much happier with fresh oil, and i like to keep it happy.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Well, it is...but that really is overkill. You'll save a lot of money changing it every 4-5k miles, and the car won't know the difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode