So Someone Has Already Backed into My New Car. I Need Advice - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So Someone Has Already Backed into My New Car. I Need Advice

So, some asshat has already backed into my new car. Made some ****ed up spots on the left side of my bumper and my left headlight knocked in (plus the light cover all scratched up) The problem, the guy has insurance (All State) but it isn't effective until 7/12/2012. I called my insurance company and now I am waiting on a claims person to get back with me. I got the guys name, licences #, insurance policy number, and address. So... What are my options here? Am I going to get ****ed over?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some pics. The one that is on the side is worse in person that the picture makes it out to be. I can stick my finger in there so, its not just paint. Headlight knocked back over an inch. I know its not like he totaled my car but, its a freaking new car. I shouldn't have to live with damages to my car because some guy doesn't ****ing know how to drive his Silverado. Thing is, I parked way out of the way of any other cars. Like literally, there was not any cars within three rows of me. Pretty sure the guy had been drinking, so there is that. Coming out of a bowling alley... yeah. And not to mention he hit a car that was no where near any other cars.

"Smack Smack Sugar Smack, Give Me A Smack & I'll Smack Ya Back"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

i wouldnt stress too much.. the insurance will pay whatever she shop says.. even if the guy too off and u had no info the insurance would still pay for it. someone smashed my friends car in a parking lot.. his insurance paid for all the repairs
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Yup. It should just get taken care of. If you're really concerned about it though, you could still/should have called the local police and reported it. Good on you for calling your claim office - they'll get everything straightened out, and that guy's ins will pay for it. You got all his info so it should be fine.

2008 Cobalt SS

Vehicle Showoff Thread
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Staff Alumni

At least it wasn't a hit and run. It still sucks though!

First, file a police report! You should never leave a scene without one.

You can pay your deductible, get the car fixed, and let your ins. company hash it out. If the payout is high enough, the insurance company will go after the guy and if they collect, reimburse your deductible. If you don't get a reimbursement, you can sue him for it if you feel it's worth your time.

If you want to take a more direct route, you can fix the car and hit him in small claims for the full amount of the damages. Send a certified letter with a couple estimates and let him know he has 2 weeks to pay in full or you'll file a court case. If he can't pay a judgement, they'll levy his bank account or garnish his wages, so it could be a while before you get your money. Just don't cut this guy any deals or let him pay in installments. It never ends well.

Bottom line, if you know who it is, it shouldn't cost you anything. Personally, I'd let my insurance handle it.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Expert

Garage
Get the guy to pay the deductible to fix it. You have all his info already so you should be ok, he just might be out some cash since he technically doesnt have insurance and will have to pay you or your insurance company out of his pocket.

Last edited by acoutu; 07-02-2012 at 09:37 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
At least you can run this through insurance. My gf backed into me two weeks after buying the car. Needless to say I had rights to the garage for as long as we only had one stall from then on!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So, just got off the phone with All State(his insurance company), his insurance is good. They were very friendly. Tomorrow I will be driving to charlotte to have them estimate my damages, and since I don't have a prefered body shop - they will find me a local shop to do the repairs. They said once they get a hold of the guy (who hit me) and confirm everything, they will write me the check. In the event that the repairs cost more than the estimate(hidden damages, etc) the shop calls All State and they will arrange payment options options on their own. While my vehicle is being repaired, I will be provided with a rental vehicle. So, looks like I won't be spending any out of pocket thankfully. So, this is a big relief to me. Process(so far) is going much smoother than I expected.

"Smack Smack Sugar Smack, Give Me A Smack & I'll Smack Ya Back"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Right on, glad everythings working out!

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Veteran

Garage
I highly suggest not wasting the money to get it fixed, use some touch up paint and dot worry about the light unless it doesn't work at all.
Because you might hit a tire or something.
Or "hit a branch" or something that does "enough damage" to get a SS bumper.
"hint hint"

[Insert signature here]
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Thats what I was thinking! But I was going to include aftermarket headlights too! Body work is expensive!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode