Cobalt/G5 for Kid - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
Cobalt/G5 for Kid

Looks like a Cobalt/G5 is going to be a first car for my kid who loves my Z28 (LS1tech.com) but it ain't gonna happen. I'm fairly knowledgeable about cars but I'm trying to quickly get up to speed on these cars. The SS seemed like a good original choice but not for a new driver, so I've settled on the following models I found this weekend at local dealers:

1. 2009 Cobalt LT Coupe - 33k miles - $11,995 (sunroof, alloy wheels)

2. 2008 Pontiac G5 Coupe - 56k miles - $9,995 (really basic - steel wheels)

3. 2008 Cobalt Sedan Sport - 46k miles - $11,995 (2.4 engine, sunroof)

4. 2008 Cobalt "Special Edition" Coupe - 70k miles - $10,995 (sunroof, alloy wheels)

All are autos.

I'm going to do my homework but we plan on getting one of the above this week. I have a bunch of questions for knowledgeable guys on this forum so any good "intro" links and advice would be appreciated. One of my immediate questions is regarding insurance and engines. Is it true (as is typical) that the coupe is more costly to insure? As far as the engine, is it really a BIG performance difference between the 2.4 and 2.2? I drove both but real didn't feel that much more power and I'm looking more at reliability than all-out performance. My first upgrades to my cars are always shocks and exhaust and I'll probably go that way, especially since all of these will be GM-Cert cars = no engine work. I'll also used the sticky regarding what SS parts fit non-SS Cobalt as a basis for upgrades.

Cheap Guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Contributor
 
ELCobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 253
Send a message via Skype™ to ELCobalt
I find it quite expensive. For 10k you could find a SS SC easily.



K&N CAI - Vibrant Catback 2,25" - 17" Voxx Wheels - Gen 2 Projector - 30,000k HIDs (Purple) - 3,000k HIDs Fog lights (Yellow) - 5% tinted windows - Eibach Sportlines - Front SS Bumper - Rear SS Bumper.

Showoff tread: https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ec-canada.html
ELCobalt is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCobalt View Post
I find it quite expensive. For 10k you could find a SS SC easily.
I just noted the list prices which obviously are negotiable - I'm assuming by at least a grand. The reason why they are higher is also due to the GM-Cert/warranty - which I normally wouldn't care about but since the car is going off to school, it will come in handy. Plus I'd imagine the insurance on the SS/SC is going to be killer for new driver.
Cheap Guy is offline  
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 11,820
Garage
What ever you do don't pay the sticker price. I always go in thinking that they are making a 40% profit but should only make 10%. For instance if they are asking 10,000 offer them 7G and workfrom there. They will either meet your price or have to give you a good reason why you should pay more. Most importantantly never look like you're really excited about the car until the keys are in your hands. And above all don't be afraid to walk away if they don't budge from the sticker price. Don't forget to inspect it for previous damage, like new paint, poorly masked edges, crumpled metal under the hood and so on.....

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Coby7 is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
What ever you do don't pay the sticker price. I always go in thinking that they are making a 40% profit but should only make 10%. For instance if they are asking 10,000 offer them 7G and workfrom there. They will either meet your price or have to give you a good reason why you should pay more. Most importantantly never look like you're really excited about the car until the keys are in your hands. And above all don't be afraid to walk away if they don't budge from the sticker price. Don't forget to inspect it for previous damage, like new paint, poorly masked edges, crumpled metal under the hood and so on.....
As stated in my previous post, I'm expecting at a minimum $1000 off the listed price. I bought my Z28 from one of the dealers and immediately got almost $3000 off the listed price and I'm expecting the same, especially since it's going to be a cash deal.

As far as the condition - I learned from a bad CarFax/CarChex experience that the best way to check a car is to do it yourself in addition to taking it to a good mechanic. We saw a lot of junk out there this weekend and these were by far the best of the bunch and we're willing to spend a little more for a good rather than an "okay" car.

Frankly, the only diff I'm finding between the 2.2 cars are the wheels, sunroof and steering wheel controls. It looks like wheels run about $600 a set, the sunroof is nice but not essential given where we live, and I'll probably replace the headunit any way so the wheel controls aren't a biggy. In short, if I can get the G5 down to around 7-8k, it's probably the best deal, leaving a few bucks for suspension/sound upgrades.
Cheap Guy is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 11,820
Garage
Cheap Guy; Well don't let your nickname disappoint us.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Coby7 is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 584
Garage
Alright, the there are two different 2.4's the newer one 2008+
And then the 2005-2006 2.4 that came with forged internal from the factory and is badged as an SS/NA
If you plan on getting a 2.4L get the cobalt SS 2.4L

NOT the 2.4L SPORT.


[Insert signature here]
white balt is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Contributor
 
ELCobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 253
Send a message via Skype™ to ELCobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I just noted the list prices which obviously are negotiable - I'm assuming by at least a grand. The reason why they are higher is also due to the GM-Cert/warranty - which I normally wouldn't care about but since the car is going off to school, it will come in handy. Plus I'd imagine the insurance on the SS/SC is going to be killer for new driver.
Yeah, the insurance is killer for a new driver, this is why I mod my LT.



K&N CAI - Vibrant Catback 2,25" - 17" Voxx Wheels - Gen 2 Projector - 30,000k HIDs (Purple) - 3,000k HIDs Fog lights (Yellow) - 5% tinted windows - Eibach Sportlines - Front SS Bumper - Rear SS Bumper.

Showoff tread: https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ec-canada.html
ELCobalt is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by white balt View Post
Alright, the there are two different 2.4's the newer one 2008+
And then the 2005-2006 2.4 that came with forged internal from the factory and is badged as an SS/NA
If you plan on getting a 2.4L get the cobalt SS 2.4L

NOT the 2.4L SPORT.


[Insert signature here]
The 4 dr. Sport I listed IS the 2.4L. Sounds like I should just go with the 2.2 LT's?
Cheap Guy is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 584
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
The 4 dr. Sport I listed IS the 2.4L. Sounds like I should just go with the 2.2 LT's?
The sport is nice and what not, but the older 2.4l cobalt has a better engine because its has factory forged internals.
You can find an older 2.4l for a lot better price than what your posting.

If I could go back in time and get a 2.4l SS/na I would.
Cuz I got a 2.2l

To be honest the sport looks nice than the 2.2l with the base bumper and what not.

BTW, any pictures of said cars you guys are looking at?

[Insert signature here]

Last edited by white balt; 07-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.
white balt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome