Intermediate Gear Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Intermediate Gear Questions

Hey guys im not very familiar with gears outside of drive, but i was doing some reading about intermediate gear and i could not find anything on when it is safe to switch into it and out of it. So my question is when is it safe to go into and get out of "I"? i have a 2007 2.2 sedan automatic.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Contributor

Above 40 MPH, "I" drops it down to 3rd gear. Below 40 MPH, it drops down to 2nd. So it's good for engine braking or climbing a long hill when you don't want the transmission hunting gears all the time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
^x2

ive used it a few times coming off an exit ramp downhill too fast, dropping it down to 2nd

['10 LT 2.2, 15% Tint, Blue LED Dome and Trunk lights, Kenwood 252U, 2 12" Kicker Comps,Delinte D7 Thunder tires, 18in NR10's, Eibach Sportlines, Fe5 Shocks and Struts, Moog Endlinks, ZZP Catback, ZZP Stage 3 Turbo Kit, 8000K HID Halo's,Painted Emblems, Blacked out tailights]

Visit My Showoff!:
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...burnie-md.html
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Oldkid
I use it a lot when on mountain roads like the Blue Ridge Partway. It will take care of it's self and select the next lowest gear that's allowed by the computer. It will also shift up to the next gear when the speed increases. My 2LT shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 41 mph or the opposite if you are slowing down. It sure helps save the brakes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
yeah although ive noticed that it waits until its high in the rpm band to shift gears. normally in D if i m driving nicely it shifts between 2700-3000 whereas in I it usually hits almost 4000 before itll upshift.

['10 LT 2.2, 15% Tint, Blue LED Dome and Trunk lights, Kenwood 252U, 2 12" Kicker Comps,Delinte D7 Thunder tires, 18in NR10's, Eibach Sportlines, Fe5 Shocks and Struts, Moog Endlinks, ZZP Catback, ZZP Stage 3 Turbo Kit, 8000K HID Halo's,Painted Emblems, Blacked out tailights]

Visit My Showoff!:
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...burnie-md.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
fast , gears , race , sedan , transmission

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode