A Light Bulb and a Blanket - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

A Light Bulb and a Blanket

A was listening to the Car Talk guys a few months ago and a caller asked a question about the best and least expensive way to reduce wear and tear on her automobile and thus make the car last longer....those weren't the exact words but something along those lines. The answer was a light bulb and a blanket, strategically placed over the motor during cold winter months.

So to all you gear heads on YC...how much does this make sense to you and if I tried it, would I burn the garage down and my car up?

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Initiate

Cold starts cause the most wear however I would use an engine block heater on a timer rather than a lightbulb and blanket.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah there are specific things designed to keep your engine warm in the winter such as block heaters and oil pan heaters. A light bulb and a blanket is asking for a fire.

My only guess though is that you would place the light bulb under the engine down on the floor and then put the blanket over the top of the engine to hold in the heat of the light bulb from below. Sounds pretty stupid to me though.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Although I do find listening to the car talk guys interesting or entertaining I think they are not very smart about actually knowing how to fix cars. I would never call them and ask them what is wrong with my car. It is nearly impossible to diagnose a car that is making a "clunk" "bang" "bonk" "clank" or whatever word people make up correctly without actually seeing the car yourself.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people expect you to know what is wrong with their car by describing the noise it makes based on their opinion of what it sounds like or where the noise is coming from.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

I have no experience with block heaters but think I'm interested in finding out more about them. Just did some poking around on google and found a thread from YC.com where blazer and some others talk about installing them. Maybe if I could get the dealer to install an OEM block heater for me I'd use it. There's a few outlets in the garage, so if it's just a matter of pugging in at night..I think I could handle that.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I cut stuff

Garage
block heaters on a cobalt are the easiest block heater you can ever install. It's simply one bolt and you're done, other than just routing the cord. The problem with block heaters for our cars is though, that the cord has a built in thermostat and the block heater will not run unless it is zero degrees F or lower. So kinda dumb.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerlow View Post
block heaters on a cobalt are the easiest block heater you can ever install. It's simply one bolt and you're done, other than just routing the cord. The problem with block heaters for our cars is though, that the cord has a built in thermostat and the block heater will not run unless it is zero degrees F or lower. So kinda dumb.
Thanks...does the thermostat low temp switch setting have something to do with (not) triggering a CEL?

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Don't think I'd EVER trust a lightbulb and blanket to keep from getting a cold start.... lol, and cold starts are so bad because there is no oil in the top of the motor when you first start the car thus why it's bad. once oil gets up there, then there are no problems.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM
I cut stuff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
Thanks...does the thermostat low temp switch setting have something to do with (not) triggering a CEL?
yep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode