Any Negative Effects of Topping Off Gas Tank? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Any Negative Effects of Topping Off Gas Tank?

I was paying for gas with a CC, but who can afford to do that anymore, when the cash price is usually cheaper for gas. Well anyways, a few times lately. I've put more in than the car would take. Maybe squeezing in a couple extra bucks rather than going to get my change. I know I should just stop when it fills and go grab my change.
But on this past occasion. I had it full enough that the overflow was engaged and leaked some out. I actually left behind some change worth of gas on the pump rather than go inside to get 70 cents lol.
Now is doing this going to have an effect on my gas gauge? I'm a bit concerned about this cause I don't know what the effect might be of topping off to the point your tanks overflow is engaged.
Gonna try to be more careful from now on and guess better on what I can take in the tank or just go get my change even if it is a couple of bucks or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
It's fine

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Contributor

Garage
Actually if you do some research online, there are some consquences with overflowing the gas tank. Every time I fill gas, I have some trouble filling it. It would cut itself with every 60-80 cents of gas; used to take my 1 min to fill $1 of gas. I used to fill gas until sometimes until it spit gas out. I wash it weekly now, especially the underside so it does this for a few mins then lets me leave it on auto pump.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Contributor

Yeah i wouldn't worry about it harming anything.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
My 2, filling more than the tank, meaning the filler neck is not recommended. There are 2 orifices on the filler neck connected to hoses, one is a vent to let air out of the tank while you pour gas in, the other one goes to the emission purge canister. If you overfill above the canister inlet and gas goes into the canister you could damage it and deminish it's efficiency after repeated overfills. Then you will get a Check engine light with a possibility of several different DTCs. Unless you leave for a long trip and are going to empty the filler neck real quick, I suggest strongly that you do not overfill.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Forum Regular

I agree with Coby. I've always been instructed to never over-fill the gas tank as it could prove harmful to the vehicle. I never asked why since I'd rather have a working vehicle than learn from my own mistakes. :P

"Remember not to litter,
spay or neuter your critter."
Strangest road sign ever.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Staff Alumni

If changed emissions boxes that are swelled out from fuel getting in with the charcoal stuff thats in there and making it swell. These same cars had problems filling their tank previous and after I either completely the box or replaced it everything was good.

fill your car til it clicks off and leave it there. Its a difference of 25km at most.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode