Broken Timing Belt/Chain Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation Broken Timing Belt/Chain Question

I own a 2007 Cobalt LS 4D... here's a brief synopsis...

Check engine light, return code P0016 (Cam Shaft Alignment Sensor or Timing Issue).

Engine started fine, I experienced 1 hard start, drove about a mile to get dinner and back, next day... wouldn't start. Fast spin, with no engine turn. Obvious timing belt is broken ... what other problems 'could' a broken timing belt/chain have on the motor? Dealership Mechanic talked about whether or not the motor was a 'tolerance' motor (which he couldn't tell me without looking in the book, and a surcharge)... (which means the valves could be bent as well?) are there any other internal motor issues that could have caused this? I did have low oil for my last change, but no visible leaks (puddles), and I've checked it since the last oil change ... levels seem fine.

I was originally told the car was still under warranty, paid to have it towed the dealer, he calls me back stating it's NOT under warranty and wouldn't give me a 'general idea' of the cost for repair. Stating the he wouldn't know until he got in there ... in my mind none of this is adding up, but this is a fairly reputable dealer in my community. Obviously, if the car was not under warranty, I would have taken it to a cheaper (and yes, trustworthy) mechanic. But I'm in $50 bucks for a tow now, I feel he simply lied to me about the warranty knowing I'd have brought to the shop.
Any advice on timing belt motor issue would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Pull the valve cover. see if timing chain is tight and still there. Timing is not hard but if you have bent valves, that can set you back a few bucks...

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You will be better off putting in a junkyard motor if you can find one. Out here they go for between 5 and $800. About a 10 hour job. Remember the Ecotec really dislikes running low on oil. You are better to overfill than to wait until the add mark. At low oil the timing chain oiler suffers a great deal then chain runs hot. Since this is an interference motor bent valve is a norm if chain jumps or snaps.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

thesir,

My apologies that you felt misinformed about your warranty status. If I can clarify anything for you on that, please send me the last 8 digits of your VIN via private message or email (see my signature). If you would like for me to check into things further with your involved dealership, I'm happy to do so as well. Please send me your name and contact information in addition to the last 8 digits of your VIN and a brief refresher on the concern for me (sometimes it's difficult matching up emails to posts on the forum).

Sarah, GM Customer Service

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank You All for your poignant and timely responses, my secondary research has confirmed nearly every piece of information in this thread by my trusted mechanics. Well Done! As for the warranty, he simply made a mistake and did not pay attention to the dates.
***The Devils in the Details***
I will plan to keep this thread updated as I make my journey through the repair process.
Thank You all again ... thesir
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Cobalt repairs completed today and I am whole once again! Resolution... after two tow's due to a warranty paperwork oversight on the part of the dealership. My mechanic informed me that the tensioner for the timing chain was broken. Chain did not break or 'jump', no valves bent. Can I get a big Yeeeeeehaaaaaw!! Parts and labor for the diagnosed and the fix was right at $300. Lastly .... she runs like a champ, good power again, quiet, starts just as good as the day I bought it!
Once again, thanks to all who posted, information was accurate, timeley, and user friendly ... now who can recommend a good place to buy rims?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Glad it all got worked out. you got lucky no bent valves. Discount tire is where I would look

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
advice , cobalt , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode