2010 2LT, Looking to Install Factory Remote Start - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

2010 2LT, Looking to Install Factory Remote Start

Last 8 of VIN- A7234101, has RPO's AOU,MN5

Took my car to the dealer last week and had them install a remote start for me. Turns out they outsourced the project and had a place down the street install an aftermarket kit. It ended up about the same cost as the one I thought was being installed, so I didn't ask. The starter that I thought I was getting : Part Number 19213691

Yes, yes I know I should have verified ahead of time, but the thought didn't even occur to me that a dealership would be outsourcing and installing aftermarket equipment.

My question(s) to you: Would I be able to just buy the remote starter fob [Part number GM22733524], and have the dealer program this to work with my car?
I've read that they might be able to just reprogram my car for remote start?
If I go with my original plan of the 2-way starter and buy it online, can I just bring it to them for installation?

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Would have sent this as a PM to someone, but I guess I have to have a minimum of 10 posts to PM anyone.

Guess I have to step-up my activity around here, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Forum God

Garage
I'd go back to the dealer and b1tch...with the factory fob.

Along with throwing a huge fit.

Always seems to work.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegtp91 View Post
with the factory fob.
So the [Part number GM22733524] fob would be fine if I brought it in to the dealer? Just trying to cover my bases this time so I don't end up going back and forth to this dealer.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Forum God

Garage
Looks right to me.

2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
On some newer GM's all you need to do is buy the 22733524 and have the dealer enable the remote start option and program the new keyFOBs to the car. I just did a 2010 Sierra and to my surprise that's all it was. But they had the remote start button assigned to liftgate. (No liftgate on a pickup) I just re-assigned the start button to remote start option and it worked. But I don't know about the 2010 Cobalt yet. I know the 2007 doesn't have this pre-wired but the 2010 might.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Forum God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
On some newer GM's all you need to do is buy the 22733524 and have the dealer enable the remote start option and program the new keyFOBs to the car. I just did a 2010 Sierra and to my surprise that's all it was. But they had the remote start button assigned to liftgate. (No liftgate on a pickup) I just re-assigned the start button to remote start option and it worked. But I don't know about the 2010 Cobalt yet. I know the 2007 doesn't have this pre-wired but the 2010 might.
Is there an option in one harness vs. the other where you could tell?

I don't have access to Alldata or GM's specs...I've seen you post a couple detailed diagrams so I figured if anyone, you might have it. I wouldn't mind having remote start, only thing I didn't have on mine :(

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegtp91 View Post
Is there an option in one harness vs. the other where you could tell?

I don't have access to Alldata or GM's specs...I've seen you post a couple detailed diagrams so I figured if anyone, you might have it. I wouldn't mind having remote start, only thing I didn't have on mine :(
Big secret, I was just at the dealer and everybody there said they didn't know, but they know they're just not allowed to tell. I just wanted to know which years did, so I wouldn't waste my time.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Bought the 2-way GM19213691 from GM Parts Direct, but it's a special order. Once that comes in I'm bringing it back and having them put it in and take the aftermarket out. Bright side, I'm pretty sure they'll only charge me for the installation of the new one....and not for the removal of the aftermarket. Well, here's hoping.

If anything, I've learned from this to ask and verify twice before I leave my car for any work done. Ugh.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Alright, 2-way remote is installed and working flawlessly. Loving it.

If you guys ever get one heads up- the remote is a bit thick, about twice the thickness of the stock GM one.

I searched through the forum here, and didn't really see a place to sell the aftermarket starter they initially installed.

Can't even find info for it on the maker's website, and havent seen anything like it on E-Bay, but better versions are selling for cheaper than I paid for it.

I just want this thing gone so if you'd like a cheap remote starter for your cobalt let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode