Held Some Value? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Held Some Value?

As some may know, my car was hit and totalled in September. I just got the claim payment for the value of the car which was $4700.00. It was an 05 LS coupe with 220k miles. What do you think of that? I was thinking id get less just on mileage alone. Pretty Happy with it i guess . . .

I was always told they dont hold value
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Staff Alumni

Re: Held Some Value?

Can't complain with that. What did/are you going to replace it with

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I bought a 2004 Vue Redline. It has the 3.5 Automatic 5 speed. I didn't realize it had a Honda Engine when I bought it. I've always liked Saturns and the Vue especially.

It has a few minor things to replace (sway bar links, 2 tires), and there is more mainteneance involved since it's AWD and has a timing belt that needs to be changed at 100k miles or so, along with the water pump and possibly tensioner.

Overall I like it, its loaded, it originally was 28k brand new, I got it for 9k with 77k miles.

I do miss my Cobalt though (still in driveway), I get to keep it even though its totalled. Not sure if i wanna just sell it or part it out . . I literally spent 500 on new struts the week . . THE WEEK . . . before I was hit.

It didn't leak a drop of anything . . . I still get emotional. :P
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Staff Alumni

Re: Held Some Value?

I'm pretty sure gm's 3.5 is not even slightly like anything Honda has

2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

2004 (and other years) Vues that have the 3.5L have the Honda engine and Transmission. Everything outside of the engine is Delco/GM. Even the serpentine belt and components.

The Vues with the 2.2 are the Ecotecs.

I would absolutely rather have the GM engine and tranny, since I'm most familiar with them, also the Honda tranny is more high maintenance.

I didn't know any of this until after I bought it. I guess I should have done more research :( But . . . it's not bad, the transmission is 5 speed auto as Im used to 4 speed auto with my cobalt. It just feels different, once you get used to it its pretty smooth.

My cousin works at a shop and didn't believe it was a honda. There is a part right in front of the engine . . says *Honda* lol . . . then he believed me. Kind of strange, I'm sure the reason for all the engine swapping was some BS about money :P

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

the 2002-2003 vues had a 3.0 V6 . . . I think theyre GM though . . .FWIW
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Veteran

It took all that time to get your money !!!!!!! ?????
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Yeah lol.

It was a big pain in the butt! . . . there were 6 cars involved . . . the woman hit me first and then in a chain reaction 4 cars in front of me were hit.

The guy i hit had JUST bought a 2012 or 2013 jetta . . . still had temp tags. His claim took the longest . . . mine was wrapped up after a month, but they had to wait until all the claims were in, so . . .

Im too honest as well, im told . . . i could have gotten more money they said, but I wasnt hurt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Staff Alumni

I cant believe when gm has such a good relationship with toyota, that they would degrade themselves and work with honda. It does explain the bail out though :P

j/k

The engine should outlast the body

20/25 imp mpg
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephN79 View Post
Yeah lol.

It was a big pain in the butt! . . . there were 6 cars involved . . . the woman hit me first and then in a chain reaction 4 cars in front of me were hit.

The guy i hit had JUST bought a 2012 or 2013 jetta . . . still had temp tags. His claim took the longest . . . mine was wrapped up after a month, but they had to wait until all the claims were in, so . . .

Im too honest as well, im told . . . i could have gotten more money they said, but I wasnt hurt
Well I hope mine doesn't take that long :/.... And yeah lawyer here is also trying to get me claim anything and everything but the only things I accepted was therapy at the chiropractic and the money for the car ...no word yet on when or how muh :/ is been 1 week 2 days it feels like for ever :S
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Tekila: This was my first time in an accident, and hopefully my last. The other partys insurance was Geico, if that makes a difference or not I'm not sure. The woman who hit us had only $10,000 in property damage!! I've never seen lower than $25,000 for prop damage coverage, even on liability, but I guess that's the minimum for Kentucky. So, the total of 3 claims came out to about $13,000. Whatever percentage of the 13,000 my claim took up, I got that percentage of $10,000. If I want the other $1400, I guess I have to sue her, but I'm not.

I also called a lawyer because I thought I was being haggled around at first, and maybe I was a little. HOWEVER, this guy was an ambulance chaser. I had a nice bruise inside my knee from the steering wheel, and I was achy that night, and that's all. He wanted me to go to a chiropractor, get MRI's and s*** . .. the whole nine yards. I'm not out to ruin this ladies life, I just want paid for my car and my ER visit . . . and thats what they gave me so Im good. Im not keen on lawyers, but I guess they gotta make a living . . . That was a lot of typing, sorry!

Money man: I think I read somwehere why they worked with honda, but I cant remember what it was :( I've hears Hondas have decent engines. I've never owned one, I've had a 1999 2.2 Cavalier and my 2005 2.2 Cobalt. I have to drop several hunderd on the Honda engine at around 100k for timing belt and pump/tensioner maintenance . . . at that point i need to check a few other things as well. So that blows, but otherwise it seems pretty ok to maintain. The transmission had 77k on it when I bought it, the person before me didnt do ANYTHING to maintain this thing. It shifted kinda crappy, but once i changed the fluid . . . it ran smooth. The transmission is the most finicky part, you just have to keep the fluid fresh. My cobalt had 220k, and I never touched the ATF . .. so it's something I have to get used to doing

I could go on forever about bail outs . . . thats for another forum! ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode