Need a 100 Gallon Fuel Tank...going E85 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Need a 100 Gallon Fuel Tank...going E85

so as it basically states above im looking to get a 100 gallon fuel tank that i can take to the nearest town with e85 (1 hour away) to get 100 gallons and bring home and put in the garage so i can run e85 in my car and not drive an hour to get it!

NOTE: I do have means to use a fork lift at my house so unloading the tank from a truck and into the garage would be cake.

I wanna know though. is a fuel tank any diff from a regular 100 gallon tank that is stainless steel or regular steel. and would it need a fuel filter some how attached? I really dont wanna buy one with a pump and it run me close to 1k for the tank and pump when I could set it high enough to be gravity feed and have a valve at the end of the hose....

Ideas? Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You can probably get that fuel delivered to your house if you have a properly certified tank for fuel. The inlet will need to be accessible with steps I imagine if you're going to have it up high.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Contributor

I'd be worried about insurance if I was installing a fuel tank that size in my garage... be sure to check you're still covered, just sayin...

You may be better off just getting a bunch of 5-gallon fuel cans. You could simply fill those up at the gas station and store them in your garage. VP racing fuels has a wide selection.

Black 2010 SS/TC – G85 | ZFR6758 | Term2 tuned | 479whp, 470wtq | Built internals | Cryo'd 4.45 | CM S4 clutch | Hahn CP | ZZP IC | Forge BPV | Hahn 3” DP and Catback | Hahn CAI | Ported head & intake | LE5 TB | Opel injectors + custom 5th injector | ZZP S3 cams | 82# valve springs | 420lph E85 LPFP | Custom FM oil cooler | PRS YYZ v3 & Koni yellows | PRS XXX bar | PRS rotated mounts, rear bushings & TCABS | PRS PCV | PRS Racing oil pan | PRS brake ducts

Last edited by colodude18; 03-04-2013 at 03:56 PM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Pretty sure tank has to be outside a building or double hulled in the ground. But he wants to set it up high, I would mount it to the side somewhere outside.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Staff Alumni

I would think a furnace oil tank should work. Not sure how you're gunna fill it easily if its up high.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
E85 is a waste in my opinion. Unless you support farmers.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
I would think a furnace oil tank should work. Not sure how you're gunna fill it easily if its up high.
well i wana put it somewhere accessible to my fork lift. my mom is a part owner in a shiping company right beside my house and the garage i wanted to use is huge but i just figured i should put it inside for the fuels sake? idk though i have seriously considered just gettin 5 gallon jugs

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerlow View Post
E85 is a waste in my opinion. Unless you support farmers.
well im running a fully built motor and a built trans so 93 isnt gonna meet the numbers im wanting....I aggree that stuff is poop in the fact that it gets no mileage, and is almost pure alcohol but if it will meet my needs power wise then im game
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnies View Post
well im running a fully built motor and a built trans so 93 isnt gonna meet the numbers im wanting....I aggree that stuff is poop in the fact that it gets no mileage, and is almost pure alcohol but if it will meet my needs power wise then im game
Who told you this? Whoever it was is completely wrong. My evo is the first car I've EVER ran e85 in, and my buddy is still running on non e85 and he has around 800ish whp on his evo. You'd be surprised at how much power you can make with 93 oct, BUT you really have to dump a lot of fuel in for it to become able to run that much power (which the DI injectors on the cobalts can handle that much fuel). Besides, instead of wasting all that time and money getting a tank, getting it certified and traveling a ways to get the e85/having it delivered for a pretty penny, ect ect, just add a meth injection kit into your cobalt and call it good man. Meth is WAY cheaper, you don't burn NEAR as much, and you get the exact same gains as you do with e85 (up to a point but that point is WAY above your power wanting goal). Save yourself the money and hassle, stick with 93 and if you get close to the power you want to make and it starts becoming a little too unstable for 93 octane, just add methanol. Kits for those are like $300, are super easy to install and setup. And it's really cheap to buy (it's windshield washer fluid).

too easy, why don't have you a methanol kit already?

You're still reading this and haven't bought it yet???

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
Who told you this? Whoever it was is completely wrong. My evo is the first car I've EVER ran e85 in, and my buddy is still running on non e85 and he has around 800ish whp on his evo. You'd be surprised at how much power you can make with 93 oct, BUT you really have to dump a lot of fuel in for it to become able to run that much power (which the DI injectors on the cobalts can handle that much fuel). Besides, instead of wasting all that time and money getting a tank, getting it certified and traveling a ways to get the e85/having it delivered for a pretty penny, ect ect, just add a meth injection kit into your cobalt and call it good man. Meth is WAY cheaper, you don't burn NEAR as much, and you get the exact same gains as you do with e85 (up to a point but that point is WAY above your power wanting goal). Save yourself the money and hassle, stick with 93 and if you get close to the power you want to make and it starts becoming a little too unstable for 93 octane, just add methanol. Kits for those are like $300, are super easy to install and setup. And it's really cheap to buy (it's windshield washer fluid).

too easy, why don't have you a methanol kit already?

You're still reading this and haven't bought it yet???
gonna see what I boast with straight 93....Turbo Tim gave me an estimation of 420 at the wheels but considering he hasnt really messed with a precision turbo and didnt know what the turbo is rated for thats a safe estimate i figure so if its higher were like yay....lol IDk but id say ill find out monday or tuesday what it dynos

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
My buddy had a PTE (precision) 5857 turbo (one just shy of yours), on his 2.3l evo and put down 641whp.

That video was only 35psi, and at the end of the day he was at 40psi. If that tells ya anything.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode