BBoy's Update: No More Cobalt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

BBoy's Update: No More Cobalt

Well, since every thread I've ever started on here is now closed, including showoff thread, guess I'll make a new one to update those of you are veterans and know me from the past. A month and a half ago, I stripped down my turbo'd 2.2, putting it completely back to stock (besides the clutch and SS body) and traded it on a small upgrade;

Quoted from my thread on CU:

WELLL....it was finally time to trade in the balt. It was a good car while I had it but, well...it was starting to let go. Mostly transmission issues, clutch/master cylinder problems and I just didn't want to invest more money. Plus, it had no A/C, and was still super basic. And at this point in my life, an upgrade was definitely affordable.

Decided on a 2011 WRX STI sedan, only one I found in or around my city, only about 18,000miles on it and very clean. When I got to the dealer to pick it up, they actually had it ON their showroom floor, and I thought it was a new car the same as mine. Only when we finished signing the papers and my salesman walked over to it did I realize "oh crap that's mine!" Driving it off the showroom floor felt pretty badass.

Here's a couple of pictures I snapped when I went to pick it up at the dealer;

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Pics of it washed and waxed two weeks later (no clay bar done yet, need more time);

BboyTaktix
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Dude, sucks to see you go (cobalt wise). Swing around from time to time, we can always open your threads if needed. Good pick up although I'm not one for the STI! Enjoy!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Levee
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Not a bad upgrade. I hope you don't ever plan on doing much engine work to that, they are a PITA for some fyi! Looks like you and I might see each other at the Subie/Evo shootout if we ever go at the same time

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
Dude, sucks to see you go (cobalt wise). Swing around from time to time, we can always open your threads if needed. Good pick up although I'm not one for the STI! Enjoy!
thanks, I guess...lol. Love this car in every way compared to the cobalt. I want to say I missed the balt, but I don't ever find myself thinking about it as I thought I might. I haven't been on here in months, I hang around more on Cobalt Universe, but knew that there were some ppl here that knew me in the earlier days of YC that might be interested.

Not to say the cobalt wasn't a good car, it did me well for the 3.5+ years I had it, but in the end, especially with my transmission issues (which should NOT have happend, thanks GM engineering for cutting design of certain parts short) it was time to say goodbye.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
Not a bad upgrade. I hope you don't ever plan on doing much engine work to that, they are a PITA for some fyi! Looks like you and I might see each other at the Subie/Evo shootout if we ever go at the same time
yep, I KNEW you would say this, seeing that you have an EVO and was reading another one of your threads randomly thinking about that fact. Thing is, these are GREAT for power. People (even owners) misconceive the newer subaru engines because of the handful of ringland failures that SOME people b*tched about. Plus, with a simple piston upgrade, these things can see quite a ton of power. If you read into some of these failures, you`ll see that a good amount were using wrong brand or weight oils, abusing the engines, etc.

FYI, nothing against you, but the local EVO owners in GENERAL seem like douches (don't know why) and my other friend confirmed this...he waves at other nice sports cars, but EVO owners give him dirty looks if he tries to acknowledge them in his 2012 STI.

I also looked at getting a newer EVO (2011+), found one or two, but in all honesty, just didn`t love it. I`m sure it drives great, and is pretty decent for power upgrades, but in terms of interio and exterior looks, the STI took it for me. Either choice is fine IMO, most people can`t afford newer cars like this, so I feel truly lucky to have the means to own one.

BboyTaktix
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Levee
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Yeah, Evo guys don't like STI guys because of the rivalry. But I take it in good fun, I will admit most evo guys are douches.. But some out there are nice like me! I know all about the older and newer Subie stuff. I still help out the engine builder at DSM Graveyard quite a bit (as they build subie motors there too), so I'm familiar. I agree with the evo you looked at tho. The Evo X's are junk. IX and pre are the best to have.

Subies can make good power, yes, and so can evos, yes, but like was stated, it's all about how it's built and what parts are used. I'm just saying in my experience with working on subies, they are NOT fun to work on. A Lot harder to work on than an evo, especially in the engine internals department. But I'm happy you got something you can enjoy! And it's ok if it's an STI, nobody's perfect

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
Yeah, Evo guys don't like STI guys because of the rivalry. But I take it in good fun, I will admit most evo guys are douches.. But some out there are nice like me! I know all about the older and newer Subie stuff. I still help out the engine builder at DSM Graveyard quite a bit (as they build subie motors there too), so I'm familiar. I agree with the evo you looked at tho. The Evo X's are junk. IX and pre are the best to have.

Subies can make good power, yes, and so can evos, yes, but like was stated, it's all about how it's built and what parts are used. I'm just saying in my experience with working on subies, they are NOT fun to work on. A Lot harder to work on than an evo, especially in the engine internals department. But I'm happy you got something you can enjoy! And it's ok if it's an STI, nobody's perfect
lol, sure man, whatever you say! I have probably one of the best known Subaru shops in North America located about an hour away from me, so when it does come time to upgrade the power, I know where to go to swap in some pistons then do some nice tuning from there. I don`t need stupid power, anything over 300WHP will make me happy, as it is my daily driver year-round (which is why I bought it...4-door, AWD great for winter, and fun out of the box) I don't see why subies are any harder to work on than most other cars. Plus, they sound so much better than your EVO's ;)

BboyTaktix
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Squeeling brakes?! lol, sorry had to say it! Do the new ones still have that problem anyways?

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
Squeeling brakes?! lol, sorry had to say it! Do the new ones still have that problem anyways?
...nope never heard of that issue on new sti's...they're brembo's so they're pretty legit...

BboyTaktix
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Staff Alumni

congrats!

hows the sound system since I know how much you liked your setup in the cobalt?

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
bboytaktix , sti , subaru , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode