Engine Size - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Engine Size

So I know I wanna get a new car, I'm just having trouble really deciding what I want. I'm keeping the bowtie but I want something faster. Looking through autotrader under SS Chevies, I found many options in my price range. I'm just looking for some personal preference. This probably isn't the best place to ask being a cobalt site but some of you guys have other cars. What do you consider more satisfying, the boosted 2.0 or a traditional V8? I'm not worried about specifics like gas consumption or low end vs. high end blah blah blah. This is just my daily driver, I'm just looking for something faster. I found some pretty sweet relatively low mileage 2008 HHR SS/TC's for nice prices, I also found some trailblazer SS's I'd like. I guess I'm looking for more room too. Anyway, let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
trailblazer SS's are nice, and i also loooove the older monte ss's

the hhr tc's have the same LNF that the cobalts do so i'd say set a cobalt ss/tc over a hhr
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 AM
Staff Alumni

Not even a question. Go v8. If none of the ppl here had to worry about $$$ they would all have v8's.4 cyl cars are what you buy when you can't afford the v8.

Ask anyone here, keep the cobalt or you'd buy them a v8 and pay for everything inc gas. They'd all take the v8.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Look for a tahoe if you want suv. Or a silverado/sierra. Go for the 5.3-6L engines.4.8L is lacking hp/tq.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
Not even a question. Go v8. If none of the ppl here had to worry about $$$ they would all have v8's.4 cyl cars are what you buy when you can't afford the v8.

Ask anyone here, keep the cobalt or you'd buy them a v8 and pay for everything inc gas. They'd all take the v8.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Look for a tahoe if you want suv. Or a silverado/sierra. Go for the 5.3-6L engines.4.8L is lacking hp/tq.
I personally take more satisfaction with a boosted 4cyl car, and I'd take one of those over a v8 any day, and it's not hard to make a boosted 4 cyl fast, if not faster than the v8's. V8's are nice, don't get me wrong, they just aren't for me. Just look at my past car list:

Cavalier 2.2
Sunbird 2.0T
Cavalier 2.8 and 3.1 (and a 3.4TT)
3 DSM's (all AWD and turbo)
Cobalt SS/TC
Another DSM
Evo

lol

However, if you were to throw a Dodge Cummins 6spd diesel at me, I'd throw a lot away for that lol. I'm all about boosted 4cyl and boosted straight 6 diesels.[/QUOTE]

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
I have a v8 I'm building for my truck and let me tell you it so much easier to make lots of na HP out of a v8 then a 4 cylinder but a boosted 4 can have more HP then a v8 and way better mpgs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
If you are looking for more room the trail blazer seems to be your best option out of those choices you listed. I've test drove the HHR and wasn't impressed. I thought my Jeep had a small windshield, but holy cow the HHR is small!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Staff Alumni

No replacement for displacement
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmesl8er View Post
No replacement for displacement
Sure there is, they are called BFTs.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys. I used to have an '03 trailblazer LT. I love the 4x4, it's very useful in my area. I could also fit like seven people in it and go to the driveins, that's without third row The trailblazer SS has always tickled my fancy. From what I understand, they are AWD, not 4x4, but same difference for my application really. Thanks again!

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys. I used to have an '03 trailblazer LT. I love the 4x4, it's very useful in my area. I could also fit like seven people in it and go to the driveins, that's without third row The trailblazer SS has always tickled my fancy. From what I understand, they are AWD, not 4x4, but same difference for my application really. Thanks again!
Not all SS's are AWD. My buddies is only RWD just so you know.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode