I Think I Killed My Engine :( - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I Think I Killed My Engine :(

It was cold and a ambulance was in front, I came to a stop with the clutch in and left it in 5th (apparently)

The ambulance left more quickly than I thought, restarted and in my typical fashion right after it kicked let off the clutch but in 5th and promptly died.

After restarting the car now lugs and chugs if my rpms are under 1800rpms.

Did I bend a rod?

Very very sad day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Timing chain probably jumped a cog. You can jump one without bending valves. Take it to a shop but don't run it.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Initiate

Garage
Say rmay, let us know what happened with that! Maybe it was just some carbon broke loose in the egr and blocked it or something along that line. Since it went dead, maybe it popped like an afterfire which you might not notice with the quiet air cleaner and maybe no real damage is done. Of course, it could have jumped slightly out of time...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana View Post
Say rmay, let us know what happened with that! Maybe it was just some carbon broke loose in the egr and blocked it or something along that line. Since it went dead, maybe it popped like an afterfire which you might not notice with the quiet air cleaner and maybe no real damage is done. Of course, it could have jumped slightly out of time...
Louisiana, I noticed you've been busy on here today. You don't have to answer every thread you know! Plus there is no EGR valve on an Ecotec.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Initiate

Garage
Ah, then I've been caught red handed. Well, at least you know I am not an evil foreign conspirator bent on infiltrating the Cobalt forum for ill gotten gains. I would like to reach the magic 35 number so I can forget about not being able to buy and sell though. It's kind of like I am not a full member until then. But,.... neither do I want to just totally post b... s... just to get there. So... I took time today to have some fun with the guys, offer some helpful advice (except for the egr blooper) and inject a little humor here and there in the process. I do want to update (or upgrade) my Cobalt soon and I have some decent vintage Ronal wheels that I located a couple of years ago and didn't buy tires for at the time because of another venture and now I need to re-decide about that. I want to bring those subjects up when I get my number because once before on a different forum for a different car I brought up a similar subject and the moderators got antsy and said I couldn't talk about the possibility of buying or selling or even ask for advice about it until I could post in the ad forum. Once I wanted to report a rare model of a car that was for sale near my house before it was parted out by the owner who was oblivious to it's value. I couldn't justify bringing it home at the time. The moderators of that (AMC) forum yanked my post even though it was not in with the ads and was carefully worded to show that it was not mine to sell. Consequently, an AMC AMX wound up going to the shredder complete with the engine, transmission, interior and all. Anyway, just want to be able to say what I am thinking without having to beat around the bush about whether I'm keeping the car I'm talking about. Or the wheels. Or wanting to work up to an SS (or SC) There. I've come clean. Arrest me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode